I have carried 2 heavy guys in both my RV6 and 6A models. In the 6, I carried one fellow who weighed in at 270 often. This was with a LYC 0320-160HP. I also carried one guy who weighed in at 260 in our present plane, the 6A with a LYC 0360-180HP. Both were with full fuel and no baggage. Just a longer ground roll to get airborne. I did think that we would have to get engaged after the flights. Really close shoulder to shoulder contact. Other than that, the planes flew quite normally.

Last edited:
In the SBS models if it fits it is good to go as long as no W&B limits are exceeded. How people are built plays a major role in whether or not they will fit.

Also be sure you have free unrestricted movement of the control sticks as well. Remove the pax stick if needed. You can also remove the seat back cushion to provide gut clearance.

Last edited:
In the SBS models if it fits it is good to go as long as no W&B limits are exceeded. How people are built plays a major role in whether or not they will fit.

Not sure I would agree with this - large passengers usually have large thighs which may restrict stick movement. Full control deflection is kind of like a gun or life insurance - you aren't likely to need it, but if you do need it, you will need it very badly.

For large passengers, I therefore remove the pax control stick. I won't fly with restricted control movement.

Not sure I would agree with this - large passengers usually have large thighs which may restrict stick movement. Full control deflection is kind of like a gun or life insurance - you aren't likely to need it, but if you do need it, you will need it very badly.

For large passengers, I therefore remove the pax control stick. I won't fly with restricted control movement.

Heavy people come in all shapes and sizes. I have little chicken legs and no arse.

I agree that unrestricted stick movement should be a priority. I will add that to my post.