danielhv

Well Known Member
Im assuming its required to display the Passenger warning tag etc... but I dont understand the part about how it does not comply with Federal Safety Regulations... kind of an overstatement it seems... pretty harsh when most of these aircraft are safer than some production...

Does the wording have to be that exact? Not sure where to find the regs on it.

Mandatory Placard

RV6AWarningPlacard.jpg

Im assuming its required to display the Passenger warning tag etc... but I dont understand the part about how it does not comply with Federal Safety Regulations... kind of an overstatement it seems... pretty harsh when most of these aircraft are safer than some production...
Does the wording have to be that exact? Not sure where to find the regs on it.
Actually it states that "This aircraft does not comply with federal safety regulations for standard aircraft." The key words are "standard aircraft". Standard aircraft must meet their "type certificate". Experimental amateur-built aircraft do not have a type certificate, therefore they cannot meet one.
FAR part 91.9 states that you must display placards as prescribed by the certificating authority. In this case the certificating authority is FAA Order 8130.2f.

Actually it states that "This aircraft does not comply with federal safety regulations for standard aircraft." The key words are "standard aircraft". Standard aircraft must meet their "type certificate". Experimental amateur-built aircraft do not have a type certificate, therefore they cannot meet one.
FAR part 91.9 states that you must display placards as prescribed by the certificating authority. In this case the certificating authority is FAA Order 8130.2f.

Thanks Mel, btw... is there anything you DON'T know? :D

watch out for law suits

I imagine in a country where frivolous law suits happen all the time that you would be inviting trouble by putting that "exceeds" statement there. If your plane crashed and your passenger was killed then the lawyer would argue that you mislead them about the safety of your plane. I'm not a lawyer and I live in Canada so I don't really know...just guessing!

Let the flaming begin ;-)

I imagine in a country where frivolous law suits happen all the time that you would be inviting trouble by putting that "exceeds" statement there. If your plane crashed and your passenger was killed then the lawyer would argue that you mislead them about the safety of your plane. I'm not a lawyer and I live in Canada so I don't really know...just guessing!

Let the flaming begin ;-)

Possibly true in this day and age... a lot of RV builders use "But it's a lot more fun" instead.

re: tag line

I saw an RV9A at OSH a couple of years ago, at the end of the warning it was tagged with "so was the Ark".:)

Marshall Alexander

The Titanic was built by professionals

I saw an RV9A at OSH a couple of years ago, at the end of the warning it was tagged with "so was the Ark".:)

Marshall Alexander

I saw one very similar. It had the regular warning then said something to the effect of: "The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was amateur built".