kevinsky18

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed passenger rudder pedals and engine controls in thier RV-8? I'm thinking in terms of providing transition training etc.

Kevin -

This is a common topic of discussion - do a search in the RV-8 forum area, and I'll bet you'll find a wide variety of opinions/information...

From experience...

I have rudder pedals and a throttle in the rear seat of my '8.' On the surface, a good idea, however in practice not very useful. The problem is the difference in the seat height front to rear due to the profile of the canopy. Look at a side view photo of an 8 with two aboard. The "back seaters" head is about 8 inches lower than the front seat occupant's. Also the backseater cannot see the instrument panel without sliding forward in the seat and leaning a little forward.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I have transitioned two pilots in thier RV8 and 8A. Both had the airspeed in the upper lefthand corner and the engine moniters in the upper right and were easy to see just sitting back there normaly. I find the visibility in the back of the 8 is very good and it is an easy airplane to teach in. A lot easier than the front seat of a Pitts. Put them in so you can let your buddies get the full experience of flying an RV. Don

As for being able to see the instruments. I was thinking of an EFIS-Engine monitor combo (something like a flightDEK-D180) in the front and wondering if I could run a connecting wire to a simple LCD display mounted in the back of the front seat.

Not a second EFIS, just a drone display panel.

kevinsky18 said:
As for being able to see the instruments. I was thinking of an EFIS-Engine monitor combo (something like a flightDEK-D180) in the front and wondering if I could run a connecting wire to a simple LCD display mounted in the back of the front seat.

Not a second EFIS, just a drone display panel.

I asked Dynon about this 2 years ago at SnF. Their rep said "ah, you must be building an eight". I said yes and he said "no, we have no plans for that". Maybe they have changed their plans by now.

I think the vendor that addresses this will win big with -8 builders. Then again, -7 and -9 builders could use it as well. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult given the magic they build into their boxes now.

Would love to hear Dynon and AFS weigh in on this.