Paul B

Rocket or RV-8, which would likely be more comfortable for a 5'8" 200lb+ passenger? Which would be easier for the passenger to get in and out of? Would either aircraft have weight and balance issues if the passenger was significantly heavier than the pilot?

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hey Paul, welcome to VAF.

Just a WAG here, but I think the 8 fits your question best.

Pretty sure others with more experience here will jump in on this Q.

Good to have you aboard.

P.S., as to cost, and ease of build, my vote also goes to the 8.

Inquiring minds...

I'm hoping you'll get some more responses to your question, as it is similar to mine. I currently fly a 6 and love it:D. But in a few years I was looking towards an 8 or possibly a Rocket. I'm sure they are both comfy in the back. My concern is if the Rocket can be loaded within CG with back seater and luggage:eek:

I've flown the backseat of one rocket and many RV-8's. I'm 6' 2" and 230lbs.

I didn't notice any difference in comfort between them. Both were pretty difficult to get out of without pulling on parts of the airplane that bend or break.

Honestly though, I think my biggest comfort problem is being 230 lbs and sitting so far off the CG. You can really throw the plane around (and be thrown around) with your weight and it often results in rides that turn me GREEN. :eek: :eek: (or blue)

I'm sure both are fine if you're a small person. But for someone my size, it would be hard to ride back there for too long.

Phil

I have carried 240 lb passengers in my F1 Rocket. Entry and exit is okay as long as you follow the procedure.

I did my W & B full aft calculation with a 240 lb passenger and I can still carry 30 lbs of baggage in the back when the tanks are empty and stay within limits. Now, this is for a standard wing F1 Rocket. EVO models have a different geometry and the W&B is different. They are more prone to aft CG situations. Harmons are different airframes all together so I can't comment on their CG situation with a heavy passenger.