Jeff R

Well Known Member
N296JR, an RV-9A under construction for 5 years now this month, passed its FAA DAR inspection today! Bad news, though. The Orlando FSDO won't let the DARs issue temporary airworthiness certificates, so the plane won't be legal to fly until Tusday after Orlando has blessed off everything. I had planned to complete my transition training with Jan Bussell tomorrow and do a fight flight after that. I am taking the kids to Comic Con in San Diego Tuesday, so now everything get pushed back to the 19th now. Ugh. Oh, well, I have been at this for 5 years so what is an extra 13 days?

Guess I will just get some more hanger flying done in the meantime!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

N296JR, an RV-9A under construction for 5 years now this month, passed its FAA DAR inspection today!

Jeff, that is wonderful news.

You have a lot of spare time till the FSDO comes through, use it wisely-----double check everything as you put the plane back together.

By the way, where are the photos??

Last edited:
Jeff congratulations! Couple days to wait is a good thing. Compared to 5 years it's a flick of time.

Drive it around.

Congrats!

I waited a while to do my first flight after inspection so I spent a lot of my time driving the plane around. Learn how it feels on the ground. I took it out on the runway and got it up to around 40 mph and rode wheelies. I think I drove it on the ground for just over 3 hours. It really helped with my comfort level when it came time for the real deal.

Here is the airplane. Obviously I have decided to paint it later.

finalairplane.jpg

If you look carefully in the back of the hanger, you can another RV-9 being built! Not by me, but by my hanger mate. And here is the instrument panel. I am really excited about flying with this panel!

panel10june12.jpg

That panel is a LOT different than Jan's panel!! :D. Try to keep it simple on the first few flights. CONGRATS!!!

Good Going

Good to see another one ready to fly. Congratulations!

I recomend driving it around too. I had no tail wheel time back in Oct 1996. And no where to get any that I new of, back then.
I had 3.5 hours taxing, my RV6. I did my first flight with no problems. Just know your abilities. Get training if you can.

Good thing it's not a taildragger...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I fast taxied Miss sandy and pushed the stick forward at 40MPH and low and behold, I was 20 feet off the deck:eek:.
So Taxi away:p