AeroHead

I'm New Here
Hello all,

Even though I fly for a paycheck, I'd really like to get back into GA again. Was thinking about heading to the Aero Club on base and just renting one of their five 172s (I'm stationed at Charleston AFB, SC), and may still do that if other options don't turn up. However, I think I have a better idea if it is doable.

Owning my own airplane would be the ultimate goal but its just not in the cards financially right now. A partnership would be the next best thing, but being in the military means moving often, and I can see that being problematic. I don't really want to own an airplane that is located in my previous location once I've moved to another.

Here's where you all come in. Is renting/leasing an RV even possible? It's been a while since I've had to recall the regs about that (most of my aviation brain section is busy trying to remember all the AF rules), but for some reason I'm thinking an airplane for rent has to be certified.

If I could find someone (hint hint to anyone interested) willing to let me fly their "experimental" airplane, is renting it an option? Any experience with this would be great. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
Okay...

...I did some research on my own over the last 24 hours. Good news is that there is a way to legally rent experimental aircraft. Bad news is that it requires some sort of waiver from the FAA--which I doubt would be approved in this type of situation.

Does this mean my only option would be to become a partner in a flying RV so that I would be an owner instead of a renter?

OR

If I were to pay for part of someone's insurance/hangar costs per month for the opportunity to fly their airplane for X number of hours, would that still be considered "renting" the airplane?

Does anyone have any experience with this at all?

We have a club with 4 airplanes. 6 people in each club. One airplane is a RV that share ownership. It works out OK. Two of the guys are ready to sell thier share so they have to find thier own buyer. The reason is responsability. There isn't as much responsibility with the club method as there is with the ownership way. The club way allowes you to walk away when ever you want. Ownership makes you share expenses. Either way we pay monthly dues to keep money in the kitty. Out of that we pay taxes, hanger, maintenance and insurance. The deductable is on a credit card or renters insurance.

RV sharing/partners in GA

It is October 2013, and I ( former military, too) could be interested in sharing an rv4 or an 8. I want a taildragger and have several friends flying these things.
We are down in theLaGrange,GA area.

Nate,

There are two C-17 drivers, Sam XX and John XX that keep their non-RV type aircraft hangared at DYB. I believe they are Lt Col's and EP's so they may be easy to find. Hopefully they could put you in touch with someone that has a RV available for rent.

I also believe there are a couple of military folks (RV8 and RV6 owners) that base their aircraft out of JZI.

Sorry that I can't provide you with more specific information.

Regards,

Last edited:
I have an RV-7 and am interested in taking on a partner

Please let me know if anyone is interested in the CHS area for a half equity interest in a one year old RV-7.

Thanks, Jim

Seattle WA partner

I am building an RV12. Just started the finishing kit. I was considering taking on a partner to share the build and costs. I live on an air field and have a hanger at my home. Thoughts and interest?

Brighton Michigan Partner Possibility

I have an RV-6A I'm building ready for electrics and instruments and have all parts needed to finish the airplane.

Also interested and just about to purchase a hangar at the Brighton Hyne Airport.

Anyone interested in partnership, which could be completed with in the year??..feel free to PM or email.

Thanks!