IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
Does anyone have the Vans parking brake valve PV-2? There is no picture on the Vans site, but the install kit for the -10 shows a valve that looks different than the Matco valve on the ACS website.

Are they really different valves? If so, any opinion on which to go for?

Thanks

Did you ask Van's?

Why don't you call Van's and ask them. They should be able to tell you if it's the Matco valve or something different.

Yes, Van's is open for business today. 503.678.6545

Hummmmm

Why install a parking brake..? In the 20 years of my flying and parking I have never used the brake. In fact line service asks not to use it in case they have to move the plane.

Parking brake

I guess everyone has a different opinion. I have always had one in my airplanes and consider it a necessity when pulling up to the gas pump or other short periods of inactivity. I have one in my -4 and am now installing one in my -7. I bought the PVPV-4 from Aircraft Spruce (their part number06-17200). This model allows very easy installation of the fittings where the other model than Van sells does not. Here is a photo of my preliminary installation in the -7

Vans sells the newer valve

Thanks to all - I did call Vans (didn't want to bother them). They are not busy, said that most people like me must think they are closed!

The PV-2 they sell is the newer Matco valve (PVPV-D). The older valve (PVPV-1) has been obsoleted.

To the poster who asked why I want a parking valve.... I never needed one back East, but here in the Midwest I've used the one in my Skipper several times. Often times there is a high but flyable steady wind, and many of the airports don't have chocks or people around to help on the ground. It's nice to land, taxi, set the park brake, and get out and secure the airplane.

To the poster who asked why I want a parking valve.... I never needed one back East, but here in the Midwest I've used the one in my Skipper several times. Often times there is a high but flyable steady wind, and many of the airports don't have chocks or people around to help on the ground. It's nice to land, taxi, set the park brake, and get out and secure the airplane.

When I add fuel at a certain location, I have to angle the nosewheel or the plane will just roll away. The 9A I fly with, just sets the brake... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Why install a parking brake..? In the 20 years of my flying and parking I have never used the brake. In fact line service asks not to use it in case they have to move the plane.

I used to fly an old 152 with an inop parking brake. I had several exciting moments where I had to quickly disembark the airplane while it starts rolling down the ramp, run around the front and catch it before it really picks up speed or hits something. Here in California we have lots of airports that are far from level.

The parking brake is not for long term parking. That's what chocks are for, and you should always carry chocks with you in the airplane. The parking brake is for the 30 seconds while you get out of the airplane and set the chocks in place, and for the 30 seconds while you remove the chocks and hop back in.

quick parking brake only

The parking brake is for the 30 seconds while you get out of the airplane and set the chocks in place, and for the 30 seconds while you remove the chocks and hop back in.
Well said - that is my experience too. You don't want to leave the parking brake on, because it closes off the fluid lines to the calipers. If you leave the brake on and there is a big temperature change, bad things will happen.

If it gets hotter, the fluid pressure goes up and you could blow something out. If it gets colder, the pressure drops and the brake might not hold.

I downloaded all the info about the new Matco valve - quite an improvement over the original. I like how the body swivels, and also how you can reposition the lever in 90 degree increments. Way cool! Can't wait to fit it. I'm going to try to put it in the tunnel cover somewhere.