tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
I know I've stumbled across photos on the web at various points, but you can never seem to find them when you need them. This seems to be a relevant topic for the archive, so I am posting this request.

Where or how have others been mounting their brake valves on the side-by-side RVs? I am particularily interested in the 7A, but I think it is probably similar on all models. I am guessing that the easiest method would be to remove that bracket that I previously riveted and just use the valve as the transition point, but I am curious what others have done.

Any links or pictures?

Thanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

That's exactly what I did. I removed the existing bracket and fashioned another for the same location. I'm planning on using the tab at the top for an adle clamp to hold the cable housing in place.

IMG_4550.jpg

I have not done this yet, but I plan to install the valve in the brake lines on the floor in front of the fuel valve. I will modify the floor cover so it covers the valve with just the lever (or an extension on the lever) sticking out. The lever will need some type of lock so it can not be unintentionally moved. The plan is that I will reach down, unlock and move the lever then push on the brakes. This location should be easier to install than on the firewall and would save on the weight of the bracket and cable. I know others have thought of this floor location, so any comments or photos would be appreciated.

Fin
9A
Australia

Here is what I did:

Here is the cable routing:

Note, this is a tail dragger so the valve had to be mounted higher than on an "A". However, I really like the way Dave made his support bracket.

Last edited:
Caution.

Looking at the pictures on this thread, I wonder whether some have not noticed the actual throw through which the lever needs to be moved to take the valve from open to close is 90? and if mounted upright cannot be pulled closed from above.

I have mounted mine in similar fashion to a lot of pics here, but I ground the lever off the shaft, ROTATE IT 45 DEGREES, and weld it back on to the shaft.

Make sure you remove the sahft from the valve first or the O rings won't work well after welding.
I have a Taildragger so mine is on the firewall, but the above applies.
Pete.
parkbrakeclosedwk3.jpg

valvemodzb9.jpg

I used Dave Parson's method and am very happy with it. It doesn't require any modifications to the lines. Need some new fittings is all.

Jekyll

Sorry, but I am WRONG

I have just been contacted by a good mate, who rather than make a posting, has told me privately that I am wrong.
He is correct.

What I said about repostioning the lever on the Park Brake was ONLY necessary on my RV-7 because I mounted the park brake HORIZONTALLY on the firewall as the brake lines need to penetrate the firewall on a taildragger and it offered a solid mounting.

It does not apply to Nose Draggers if you mount it vertically.

He also drew my attention to a drawing from the manufacturer that I had not seen which is copied below.

So disregard everything I said after "Hello".
Pete.
parkbrakemr6.jpg

Floor Mounted Valve

I have not seen any examples of the valve on the floor so here is my attempt for those interested. The lever is held in the OFF (aft) position by the spring. If accidentally kicked towards the ON position it will spring back to OFF. To lock it ON the hinge pin is moved across the lever. The eyelet in the hinge under the cover is squeezed to give a tighter sliding fit on the pin. I may also install a similar hinge pin to lock it in the OFF position as an extra safety measure.
Some tips if you are considering doing something similar.
I made my cover from fibreglass. It is attached to the aluminium floor cover. I think it would be easier making it from aluminium.
Make the cover as low as possible. The higher it is, the longer you will have to make the lever and the slot.
The cover is correctly positioned when the lever in the vertical position is in the middle of the slot. The slot has to be fairly long.
I did not understand how this valve works when I first started thinking about installing it. So in case there are others as thick as me, the lever is not like a hand brake on a car. When the lever is in the ON position it is simply a one-way valve. You can either put the lever ON and then press on the brakes or press and hold on the brakes and then put the lever on.
Fin
9A Australia.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

another place-- lines laid well right here. sure works great, glad I have it, although I don't use it all the time.

4303799342105parkingbrakegaspumpmc4.jpg

Finley Atherton said:
I have not seen any examples of the valve on the floor so here is my attempt for those interested.

Fin,

I like how you've installed your parking brake valve. Looks good! Have you tested it yet?

Has anybody else put a valve in a side-by-side RV in a place where you can reach it without using a cable?

Thank you,

rv9builder said:
Fin,

I like how you've installed your parking brake valve. Looks good! Have you tested it yet?
Thank you,

My 9A is not flying yet but I am happy with the installation. It is easy to reach down and move the lever. The cover seems to be out of the way of the size ten feet when getting into and out of the aircraft. The park brake appears to lock the wheels OK. The valve obviously has to be installed in the brake lines so I can't see any other location you could use if you don't want a cable. If I was doing this installation again I think I would make the cover a just a little bit higher to allow extra room for the spring.

Fin 9A

Another solution

I don't think Fin's location would be satisfactory for a fuel injected nose wheel RV because that's where the fuel boost pump would be located. At any rate here's another solution. It locates the Matco brake exactly at the position of the standard bracket so that the original Vans hoses can be used.

The lug at the top is to fix the Bowden cable. The fixture at the side contains the brake arm within its full on/off sweep. Both are fabricated from seperate lengths of angle.

This image shows the aluminium brake line run up the central tunnel (I've got tape on the Matco ports to stop little creatures getting in until the hoses are fitted).

Jim

Good idea mounting the valve upside down (compared to my installation).
Your slot is shorter as less movement of the lever is needed to activate the valve.
Fin
9A

data point

heres my brake valve installation..keeps the factory setup and can be retrofitted without new lines. no...thats not teflon tape.:D