Parking Brake Installation Poll

• Will Install Parking Brake

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • Installed Parking Brake

Votes: 37 23.1%
  • Will Not Install Parking Brake (Aircraft Under Construction)

Votes: 29 18.1%
  • Did Not Install Parking Brake (Completed Aircraft)

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • Did Not Install Parking Brake (Aircraft Under Construction)

Votes: 12 7.5%

• Total voters

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I wanted to take a poll of the RV builders or Fliers to determine if they installed a parking brake, are going to install a parking brake or don't want to install (or haven't installed) a parking brake.

Please take the poll. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Haven't needed one in 830 hours. If I park the plane and leave it, I typically put chocks under the wheels. I would do this even if I had a parking brake.

Wished I had them. PITA looking for chocks and trying to hold plane is strong winds going CC.

Sure is nice to have one when you are just sitting on the ramp warming up the engine. For as little work it takes to install, it's worth it.

In the Carolinas it is the rare to find a level ramp. Just getting out of my old T-Craft w/o setting the breaks could be entertaining at times.

Heck yes, I put in a parking brake!

Yes

Hi Paul,

Went through this decision as well. A neighbor of mine built a 6 with his dad. His dad was flying and stopped for fuel. His mom was in the plane as well. Also no dual brakes. He got out and before he could chock or secure a dust devil came through and swung the plane around. One of the wings contacted a 6" round pipe that was protecting the fuel pump. This created damage to the spar.

For $99 and 3-4 hours of extra work I would not be without it. FYI I have used mine 4 times in the 180 hours.

As was noted, it is not always a wind problem but uneven ground that will cause you some issues.

Windy Wyoming

As I shut down in Rock Springs, Wyoming I noticed a guy waving his hands frantically at me in his RV6. Winds were 25 knots, gusting to 35. He had been sitting there for some time. Had no parking brake and every time he tried to get out of the plane to chock, it started moving. He was very glad to see us. Convinced me to put a brake in my -7. Not much money or weight, rarely used, but always appreciated when needed.

Solo self-service fueling in high winds...

I never used the one in my Tiger, and was not going to put one in the RV-6A....

But, I tried using the self service fuel in Fox Field (WJF) in the Mojave desert in a steady 25+ kt. wind. I got out of the plane, and it started to weather vane into the wind, with the wing tip aiming for a protective post around the pump.... :(

My passenger rescued me that time using the regular brakes (standard dual brakes), but had I been solo, I don't know what I could have done. The Tiger has a free castoring nose wheel, so the direction things get blown in is not fixed... :)

I vote for the parking brake, even if it's only for that solo refuel on a windy day....

gil in Tucson

There's a lesson to be learned here from these threads. Shut down your a/c pointing into the wind, Get out, then reposition your a/c whether it be at the self serve or a parking spot. :D
Tom

Sure

tin man said:
There's a lesson to be learned here from these threads. Shut down your a/c pointing into the wind, Get out, then reposition your a/c whether it be at the self serve or a parking spot. :D
Tom

You're kidding, right?? In a perfect world, with exact winds, from a constant direction, on perfectly level ground your plan might work. Then, there is reality.

tin man said:
Tom
Maybe in 3knt winds! Here in NE we have wind. What about parking at your hanger? I have had wind so strong between hangers I could not get out of the plane without the plane moving, and that is on a good day!

Parking brake is a good thing.

Last edited:
Parking brakes, definitely, for the wind and slope reasons above. But don't rely on it longer than getting out and chocking because bleed-off will eventually happen. Matco shut-off valves aren't like Cessnas with constant spring pressure on the master cylinders.

John Siebold

I'm not kidding are you????????? Nothing one does will fit all circumstances but a little common sense could save a few bent skins. I'm fairly certain that most fuel islands are on pretty flat ground. I made no mention of NOT using a parking brake, I have one on my airplane. .
Tom