ron sterba

Well Known Member
I was told i should install a parking brake. Vans doesnt have one. Are there after market ones out there? Whos got one installed would you have pics to share. Any help would b great! Thanks RON IN REGON

Park brake info

Hi Ron,
I too think about a park brake occasionally.
do a 'search' for "park brake" or " parking brake" and you'll see about 50 thread on the Matco and Van's brake valves, for starters.

sorry I can't give you direct info, but I do have dual brakes, so my passenger could hold 'em while I jump out with chocks in hand.

often think a long stick could be wedged between the gear tower and one brake pedal for a minute....would keep it rolling in a circle at least! :)

I am doing the Matco but don't have it installed yet, I wouldn't go without one, just my 2 cents. Glenn

I went with the Cleveland Parking brake for my 9A. Not flying yet, so I don't know how it performs. My installation was simply to mount it above the Vans call outs. That way I could use the hoses supplied with the Vans kit.

IMG_4871.jpg

Why bother!

I have the Matco parking brake and in over 800 hours of flight I have used it twice. If you regularly park on an incline it may be of some use. There is a downside to most parking brakes: Pressure will likely bleed off very slowly and if you set the brake and didn't chock the wheels the plane may start rolling while you are enjoying your $100 hamburger. :eek: If the pressure bleeds off and you are lucky the plane will stay put, having been parked on an incline of insufficient slope to cause the aircraft to move on its own. :) But, if you are unlucky and forget that you set the parking brake, the pressure bled down, and you taxi out for takeoff you will find that the brakes do not work at all! :eek::eek: If you are lucky (again) you will now release the parking brake before you hit anything of value! :eek: If you are unlucky, you will hit something and learn an expensive lesson.:( If you are really unlucky you will not learn this lesson on the first try and will have to hit something again to re-enforce the learning experience. :rolleyes:

Beringer kit includes one

I'll use the Beringer wheel and brake kit for the RV-9A that includes a parking brake valve. They advertise on this site.
All the planes I've used so far belong to my flying club and they're all equipped with parking brakes, so I guess I'll include an item in my check-lists the same way the club did it.
As stated above, if you use it, don't forget about it :eek:

If you install one like the Piper Warrior has, you won't have any of the problems that are listed in post #5.

Peter, interesting photo of your park brake setup. I also have a similar setup, but I notice you have solid tubes between the valve and where the tubes go through the firewall (that is the vertical pipes, I notice yours is an A so doesn't go through the firewall at that point ). I originally had solid tubes there as well but was concerned that if the tubes were not exactly the same length, then strain on 1 pipe could cause a fracture at the flare. Also vibration of the firewall could result in the same thing. I changed to flexible hoses in that area. Maybe I am being over cautious, what does everybody think?

Last edited:
Van does sell them, see part number BRAKE PARKING PV-2 $120.00, that's where I got mine. Yes, after setting the brake it will bleed off over time but my main concern and use is to prevent the plane from rolling long enough for me to get out and choke the mains. The parking brake WILL hold for several hours and I have never had a bad experience forgetting to release it before taxing, etc.

p1010006large.jpg

The setup in my 7A is almost exactly like this. I agree that I usually use it when its windy and I want to get out to chock the wheels, or if I stop on an incline and want to get out and chock. It's handy...especially if you ever land in Rock Springs, WY or Wendover,NV when its a breezy day (30+mph wind speeds).

Ron is going to install a parking brake in his 9A!

Thanks to all whom helped me make a move toward installing the parking brake option. I have checked all your web sites for the units. I have decided to buy Bonaco brake lines. I had trouble locating the unit from Cleveland and Matco sites. I'll call them directly. Thanks to all you have been very helpful again!!!!!

Thanks Bob! I'll have to stop by to check it out if you didn't mind? Thanks for offering you have been very kind. Ron

Thanks everybody for the words of manufacturers and pics. Iam on my way to install a parking brake. Ron In Oregon 9A QB

Install the parking brake. Ramps aren't always level. Set the brake, get out, chock the wheels, and then release the brake. Simple enough.

To see yet another way to install the parking brake, look at the 11/2/06 entry on this page.