mlwynn

Well Known Member
I installed a grove parking brake in my eight yesterday. I built a modifed bracket, replacing the orginal that is riveted to the bottom on the rear baggage bulkhead. (See Mickey Coggins photo here: http://www.rv8.ch/article.php/20041117212045565 )

I have been scratching my head about how to control it, i.e. where to put the linkage and what sort of linkage. The way the valve is built, there is a lot more "brake on" portion of the control than "brake off". It will be very important to make sure I don't try to land with the valve inadvertantly in the locked position. How have others done this?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fuselage
San Ramon

Same here

I am also in need of any photos or advise that can be provided for hooking up the brake valve to some sort of control.

RV-8 Parking Brake

I have installed a a parking brake in my RV-8 in the same location. After considering various Rube Goldberg type linkages I decided to keep it simple. The parking brake is close enough to the pilot to activate and deactivate when needed.

I too was concerned about attempting to land or take off with the parking brake on. This would sure ruin your day. To avoid this situation I mounted a contact switch behind the parking brake handle. The switch is connected to a common ground and then to my Dynon EMS. You could easily wire it up to a annunciator light/etc.

When the brake is on, my Dynon unit will be flashing a warning.

Below is a picture of my switch setup.

Hope this helps.

Mike Draper
RV-8 Finish
N468RV

rv8parkingbrakesd3.jpg

Side View
rv8parkingbrakesideviewnz2.jpg

Last edited:
I have been scratching my head about how to control it, i.e. where to put the linkage and what sort of linkage. The way the valve is built, there is a lot more "brake on" portion of the control than "brake off". It will be very important to make sure I don't try to land with the valve inadvertantly in the locked position. How have others done this?

How about a t-handle? Here's one spruce sells: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/thandledashctrl.php