bacstabber

Well Known Member
Friend
I am getting ready to install my brake system. My questions concern the installation of the parking brake. In the past, others have shown their parking brake installation methods. But as of yet, I have not seen any posts or pictures of ways to control the lever position except by moving it directly with your hand. Has anyone devised a means of positioning the brake lever with a locking cable or other means? Pictures sure would help. Also, I like the idea of one poster who included a micro switch into his installation. If anyone can give suggestions about how this can be done and what switches are to be used, it would sure help this novice.

Jack,

While not on an -8, here are some pictures of how I did it in my -9:
Parking brake mounted on the firewall and cable termination:

T-handle brake cable passing through the instrument panel:

The T-handle is placed right next to my steam gauge airspeed indicator and is very noticeable if it is out and locked. No need for the complexity of a warning light in this installation, IMHO.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill for the quick reply. The the installation on an 8 is different but your pictures do help me to understand how to use the T-Handle cable control. Thank you

No problem, happy to help.

The only real problem I had was figuring out which way the thing locks. For some reason my parking brake works backwards from what the instructions indicated. The fix was to move the cable end down.

One thing of note, the sheathing on the cable end works as my stop to keep the lever from going over center.

My -8 installation

I mounted my parking brake valve on the edge of the bulkhead where the flex hoses come up and transition to the hard lines. I thought for a long time about how to operate it with a cable.

I ended up making a bell crank that attaches to the bulkhead above the valve, with a connecting rod down to the arm on the valve. Then, I use a ACS-740 ( IIRC) control cable that comes out at the bottom edge of the instrument panel in the middle of the airplane. This control has the push-lock feature in the knob of the control cable, so the brake will stay where you put it.

How it works!

IM27a.jpg

Same, sorta

I mounted my parking brake valve on the edge of the bulkhead where the flex hoses come up and transition to the hard lines. I thought for a long time about how to operate it with a cable.

I ended up making a bell crank that attaches to the bulkhead above the valve, with a connecting rod down to the arm on the valve. Then, I use a ACS-740 ( IIRC) control cable that comes out at the bottom edge of the instrument panel in the middle of the airplane. This control has the push-lock feature in the knob of the control cable, so the brake will stay where you put it.

I mounted mine in the same place, but ran the cable to direct overhead from the left side of the fwd cross-brace. No need for the bellcrank but did need to make/install some brackets to adel clamp the cable as necessary. Not yet finished, so not currently installed in the place, but should work ok (used the same pushbutton cable, cut to required length).

I'll try to get a picture this weekend

I'll see if I can figure out how to upload a picture of the bellcrank. It will be my first.