Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
The sport class should be a lot less interesting this year at Reno with the Thunder Mustang destroyed by fire. Hot brakes and a trip into the grass caused a fire and total destruction of the plane. :confused: What a shame!

Bryan

I don't know, there's always enough new innovation to keep things interesting at Reno. Sorry to hear about the Mustang, though....

Oh man! I was really looking forward to seeing all the big guns at Reno this year slugging it out in Sport Class. Won't be the same without John worrying the air cooled guys. :(

But another one should come on line soon...

Flying up to Hillsboro tomorrow to check on a neighbor's Thunder Mustang that I'm a TC on.

He's having it finished off by someone up there who has completed several.... but he did most of the actual construction himself. It's in Hillsboro for paint, final assembly, engine installation and avionics.

The engine is installed and wings painted, so it should be flying soon....

gil in Tucson

And in response to the 51% rule discussion, we did work through the FAA checklist and he did more than 51%... perhaps one of the few Thunder Mustangs to be actually Amateur Built :) ...it is the first plane he's built.

From what I understand, The Thunder Mustang "Rapid Travel" was in the process of running the same engine program that Blue Thunder was working on, so maybe all is not lost :) Still sad to see one of those planes get destroyed though :( I bought one of their shirts at Golden West so they could put the money towards another rod bolt ;)

1:1 Scale said:
From what I understand, The Thunder Mustang "Rapid Travel" was in the process of running the same engine program that Blue Thunder was working on, so maybe all is not lost :)

That is good news!
:) :) :)

I don't see any other TMs on the entry list however for this year.

I'm cheering for Mike Dacey's Questair Venture now with some new secret parts on it that we supplied. It's air cooled but what can you do? Power to the egg! :)

Last edited:
He's OK according to a friend of mine

gmcjetpilot said:
I hope he is ok. One thing about glass is when it burns it burns.
A friend of mine is building a Thunder Mustang. We humourously talk about taking it to Reno (next year??? ... I doubt it!!).

According to my friend, nobody got hurt.

What was probably very hurtful though was to be standing there watching it burn and not be able to do anything about it.

James

Aww, it's going to be boring. Hope to be crewing on a sport class next year, so it'll be less competition tho...