Crossair

I'm New Here
I have an IO540 heavy crank and case (IO-540-K1A5 300 hp) but has parellel valve heads on it. Does anyone have information on this setup?

Welcome to VAF!!!!

David, welcome to the forums.

I would suggest contacting Barrett or Mattituck, both are regular followers of the forums.

Either firm is just a click away------look to the ads on the left of the screen, towards the top.

Good luck in your search.

Might want to talk to Lycon or Performance Engines. I remember one of the two taking the big-journal cranks like you have and making a stroker out of it, by moving the journal center out and grinding them down to use light-crank rods.

I think you have the best of both worlds at the expense of weight. The K-series also has the big oil pump, which is desirable. The K-series also has a tuned induction system, but its heavy.

Angle valve cylinders

I have a set of serviceable cylinders for sale if needed.

We have built several big main parallel head 540s in the past. The big main crank assembly weighs approximately 20 pounds more than the small main 540crank but is fine unless the engine has been stroked. I wouldn't think a stroked 540 would be the type of engine you'd want in an RV due to reliability/longevity issues.

As Bob mentioned the -K series (piccolo tube) sump is quite heavy, at least 12 lbs heavier than a stock updraft sump or our cold air induction and will be rear induction, so you will want to look at the sump setup. That is a pretty easy swap if you need to make a change for use in an RV.

The only other thing you might want to verify is the compression ratio. We talk about this all of the time, but you will loose TBO in a high compression engine.

Hope you find this information helpful.