Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Rarely

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Never

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrickPilot

Just curious. Please answer the above. Also, option #2 should be "ALMOST ALWAYS". (I fat fingered it and I cannot delete the poll entry).

Last edited:
Nope

Hi Jeffrey,
FYI, this discussion has been done before and may be archived but the general consensus was that since you cannot open an RV 6 or 7 in flight, a parachute is pointless.

pierre smith said:
Hi Jeffrey,
FYI, this discussion has been done before and may be archived but the general consensus was that since you cannot open an RV 6 or 7 in flight, a parachute is pointless.

Typical newbie mistake - not searching the threads. :) I did hear that on some of the RV models, the canopy cannot be opened in flight, but also read that some builders install quick-release pins. Not sure if that's viable on all models / configurations, but I would guess that some folks have resolved it to their satisfaction.

I think I remember Paul Dye stating he had some type of quick release set up. Hope he never has to use it.

I know the canopy material is totally different than car glass but I was told that a spring loaded center punch would shatter a car glass,,,,would it have any affect on a canopy?

I assume it is the tip ups that will not open in flight. I believe I could open my slider and so I usually wear a chute when doing aerobatics. Actually getting out might be a challenge though.

I know my slider would open. If the handle doesn't do it I have two pull pins attached to four inches of webbing.

But based on lots of flying RVs, 10% that do acro (just guessing), and no bailouts - I think the risk is low.

I still wear the chute though (have to have it anyway for passengers, might as well use it when solo). At the very least, it saves putting the seat cushions back in.

If the tip-up canopy is installed as originally intended, it may be jettisonned in flight.

I was going through some old RVator magazines and they said the canopy on the 4 is designed so that it will tear away from the rivets. They mentioned a couple of occasions where this had been done and it did not impact the airplane when exiting.

They mentioned a couple of occasions where this had been done and it did not impact the airplane when exiting.

...because when you're jumping out of your airplane you're really worried about whether the jettisoned canopy hits the tail? LOL. :rolleyes:

Was thinking about parachute usage just the other day. Not for acro, but for formation flying. I've got a perfectly good, albeit not current, chute sitting at home. Maybe I'll get it inspected.

For acro, I usually don't wear one. Logic is that RV's typically hold together as advertised, getting out with a broken wing would be difficult, etc, etc.