BrickPilot

First time builder

I've posted before that I am a first time builder, and will be living in the Provo, UT area (as of February '07). I know that there is an active EAA chapter up at Salt Lake Muni II (in West Jordan, UT), but don't know of any other people in the area building an RV.

I could afford the slow build, but the quick build might be a bit much for my budget. I am quick to learn new skills, and am not intimidated by the building process. Question is, should I reconsider and go QB, or is the slow build doable for a newbie potentially without a lot of help nearby?

Last edited:
No worries mate!

I had never built anything out of metal before and I'm doing the slow build no problem. Vans kits are great.

Take one of the weekend RV workshops. It will build your confidence. I never took a shop class in school, never built anything of substance, and am having a blast building a slo-build -7. The kits are great, there are a huge number of resources - EAA chapters, builders web sites, videos, and, of course, VANSAIRFORCE.NET.

Hi Jeffrey,

The RV White Pages (link) show a few builders in Utah:

Utah Ogden Cruson, Kevin
Utah Ogden Eccles,Royal
Utah Ogden Fabiszak, Steve
Utah Ogden Felker,Rene
Utah Ogden Small,Terry A.
Utah Ogden Willard, Ed
Utah Salt Lake City Schmidt, Scott
Utah South Weber Kirkland, John
Utah Spanish Fork Sly,Russ

I bet any of these people would be happy to meet you. The slow build options is VERY doable, it is (IMHO) simply a function of time and dedication.

Best,
Doug

DeltaRomeo said:
Hi Jeffrey,

The RV White Pages (link) show a few builders in Utah:

Utah Ogden Cruson, Kevin
Utah Ogden Eccles,Royal
Utah Ogden Fabiszak, Steve
Utah Ogden Felker,Rene
Utah Ogden Small,Terry A.
Utah Ogden Willard, Ed
Utah Salt Lake City Schmidt, Scott
Utah South Weber Kirkland, John
Utah Spanish Fork Sly,Russ

I bet any of these people would be happy to meet you. The slow build options is VERY doable, it is (IMHO) simply a function of time and dedication.

Best,
Doug

Thanks Doug, ag, js. Slow build it is. Ogden is a serious hike from the Provo area, but Salt Lake and Spanish Fork are within an hour's drive. Maybe I can talk some other Provo area pilots into building! :)