jthocker

Well Known Member
I'm requesting SPECIFIC experience with chutes in RV8's IN PARTICULAR!
I want to equip my plane with chutes for both front and rear.
I have been wanting to have chutes for 20 + years and have never pulled the trigger at Sun n Fun or Oshkosh because non of the reps. had the particular model that they recommend at the show for me to try out in the plane for fit.

I would like to find a model that I could unclip and leave in place, possibly replacing a cushion(s).
Has anybody else done this?
I talked to Strong at OSH and they recommend the 304 for the front and 311 for the rear. The 304 replaces the bottom cushion in front and the 311 replaces the back cushion in the rear. For those with experience with these, how comfortable are they. I would consider putting sheepskin on these because, well,........well............. OK, I like sheep, OK!

Jerry Morris's video has rekindled my desire to get some aerobatic training and maybe start competing, or at least be able to post a video again!;)

Strong ParaCushion SeatPack Model 304 is the only one ive been able to use in the 8 and leave it in the plane and buckle it in when in only.
Its a pain to haul in and out with the pack of an 8.
Leaving it in is useful and convenient.

See my old post....

Hi Jon,

I have not tried a parachute in the back (yet).

For the front, I use a Long Softie (same chute I use in my glider)
I modified a stock seat back with a bend in it to make the seating posture more comfortable, and I am pretty happy with this set-up. See my old post titled, "improved comfort for aerobatics". It has a picture of the modified seat back too.

As far as comfort of the parachute itself, it is very nice. When I wear it in my glider, I use a wedge-shaped lumbar support cushion that I made. When in the RV-8, I don't need that.

I find it perfectly comfortable to put the chute on outside, and climb into the airplane. I exit the airplane with the chute on too. This is a good "muscle memory" habit to form. It would be pretty silly to develop a reflex behavior of unhooking your parachute while inside the airplane, then do that by habit if you ever had to bail out!

Last edited:
I spent a fair amount of time shopping parachutes at Oshkosh this year JT - sounds like we have very similar goals. I wanted something for the -3 that would be comfortable enough that we'd actually leave it in the airplane much of the time. My current chute is one I bought back when I was getting ready to Flight test the -8 - a national 360 backpack type. Frankly, I use it only when I really feel there is a risk it can mitigate because it is just not that comfortable. It comes out for flight testing where it might do some good, otherwise - its in the locker.

So for the -3, we settled on the Micro-Softie, packed so that it will act a bit like a lumbar support and kick our butt a little forward, making the seating position slightly reclining. Sheepskin pad, of course, to match the Oregon Aero Seats - it will simply replace the seat back when it is installed. I was equally impressed with the Strong Chute, but the Micro won out because the harness up at the top is narrower an less likely to slide off Louise's shoulders - and uncomfortable feeling if you've ever had a backpack do that. That was about the only discriminator between the two.

Of course, you have a totally different fit in the -8, but just wanted to say that I was very impressed with the help and advice I got from both companies at OSH. One thing that i was told by Don at Softie - I mentioned that I just wanted to leave the chute in the seat and strap it on when I got in. He wagged his finger and said "not good practice - too easy to mix up your straps and get the parachute harness trapped by the seat belt if you buckle them in the wrong order. if you have to get out - you'll likely get entangled!"

Hmmm....something to think about!

Paul

I wear a GQ 350 parachute in our RV-8 for some slight profiles (mainly displays/practcies) - mainly "seat back" type, but some of the chute is "seat". I tried a few, and most pushed my back too far forward, especially low down. I leave the bottom cushion(s) in place, and remove the (front seat) rear cushion.

I modified a stock seat back with a bend in it to make the seating posture more comfortable
Ditto without being aware of what Steve did ;) Is better... however, it does require the rear stick removed to full forward deflection. So sweap seat backs for 2 up flying.

There are some "rules" re parachutes drilled into me over a flying career (or by others who have much more experience):
  1. Parachutes can be ruined in a short time by being stored incorrectly. Apart from the very occasional overnight stay, that means removal from aircraft and storage in a suitable environment after flight.
  2. You should, post flight, unstrap from the aircraft and exit with the parachute on - if you routinely disconnect the parachute then you will do the same reflex action under severe stress should you need to "jump". If the chute is being used again a few hours, climb out with it, take it off, put it in aircraft.

I have enough doubts you could abandon an RV-8 from the front seat. I have severe doubts you could from the rear seat, especially if the front seater has "gone".

Also agree with Paul's comments on straps.

Through unfortunate / tragic events, much of the above has been learned. Also, little point in wearing a parachute if you do not wear a helmet. The helmet is more likely to be needed in typical accidents, and keep you concious enough to deply the chute as you jump out and bang the tail etc.

Link - successful "jump" but undid parachute harness as well (reflex action) = fatal. This accident resulted in after every flight you climbed out with the chute on, removed it alongside the aircraft.

Link - successful low level abandonment (<1000' mid-air)
There was a deep gouge in my flying helmet ? evidently, my head had bounced off the tail as well
does not sound like he would have been in a good position to deplay the chute if he had not been wearning a helmet?

From a recent (fatal x 2) accident, it has been highlighted (yet again) that owning and wearing a chute is but a small part of the "solution". You must have clear ideas/rules about when you will use it, the procedures (and calls / liasion if 2 occupants) to get out, the minimum heights for commencing abandonment - derived from that specific chutes "min deployment height". And such egress drills rehearsed regularly (monthly?)...

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV8tors

Softie

Mutha, I bought the Softie seat pack cushion at OSH this year after you left. Seat pack is really the only way to go in the front seat, I can see over the panel now when taxing, wow didn't know we were that close in trail!

I'm using the Strong 311 in both the front and rear seats in my 8. I pulled both the back cushions in the seats and let the chute serve as the back cushion.

I fly buckled into them for the entire duration of the flight and find them to be very comfortable. Longest x-country leg so far is 5.5 hours.

I'm only 5'8 though, so I fit comfortably in the 8 with my chute.

side note: I leave my chute in the plane and have no problems during inspection and repack. As mentioned, if you do that, pay particular attention to fastening your chute straps before buckling any of your seatbelt straps to prevent seatbelt entanglement. Also, take the time to get to know your chute and how you are going to egress. Initially, you might spend 30 min to an hour per week until its second nature.

last bit: consider installing a 20 ft static line to your d-ring. The static line will pull the d-ring which will be retained with the airplane (no entanglement) and ensure your chute opens, concious or not. Just dont forget to disconnect your static line before exiting the airplane when you are on the ground or you might get to pay for a repack that you didnt need to pay for...

Last edited: