mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I purchased a Strong seat-pack parachute--originally for flight testing but am now getting more seriously into aerobatics. It is a relatively narrow design marketed specifically for RV 4's and 8's. To be perfectly honest, I would probably wear the thing all the time except that it is not very comfortable.

There are a couple of issues: first, the shoulder straps kind of interfere with my seat shoulder straps. I can work around that but when you are inverted, really tight shoulder straps are a must. I can never decide if I should strap over parachute straps, inside them or outside them. Anyone got a good answer for this?

More importantly, the seat is pretty hard. Okay for a 40 minute aerobatic hop but I think it would be agonizing over a longer flight. Since my last re-pack, it is a little more lumpy yet. I was thinking about some sort of pad over it. Is that kosher? It already boosts me a little higher than the regular cushion so I would not want a lot of lift.

Are there seat pack parachutes that are a little more narrow or softer in design? Better ways to pad them? I have read posts where people talk about sheepskin liners, etc. So what is the answer, how do I make this more comfortable?

I have no experience with Strong chutes, just Softies in the Pitts, but you should not need to rely on a tight shoulder harness to keep you in place during acro. The lap belt does that. The shoulder harness is just to keep your torso from rotating forward. Short of a crash, there's nothing you can do in flight to cause much of this. If your lap belt doesn't tighten adequately, I'd suggest fitting a ratchet belt. Those really are the key to staying solidly in place. If you're only doing positive G acro, it doesn't matter. If you're seeing -1G and beyond, ratchet belts are worth every penny. Shoulder harnesses don't actually serve much purpose during acro unless your seating position is very reclined (like a Giles/MX), and you're pushing negative G's. Otherwise, they simply keep your face from smacking the panel in a crash. RVs sit very upright like the Pitts. I see +6/-5G on typical flights, and only tighten my shoulder harness enough to remove the slack. Are you pushing any negative? If so, I'd recommend a double lap belt. I know many people (including myself) who have inadvertently unlatched one belt (military style latch) when moving the stick. Watch your shirt sleeves.

Last edited:
Belting in

I have great difficultly getting the lap belts tight enough. I have used the ratcheted belts in a Pitts. I don't do much negative G but a shark's tooth or cuban eight does have at least a second or two of negative. I have been relying on the should straps to keep me securely in place. I guess it is time to ratchet. Thanks for the advice. I am really an aerobatic newbie.

Crow Ratchet

I just spoke with the folks at Crow Enterprizes, who made my seat belts. They have a ratchet available. It bolts right onto the frame with the belt through it. On an RV8, the belt is coming through the seat. Anyone put a ratchet on this? I guess you could built an extension from the belt attach point but I am not sure how secure that would be.