mcencula

Well Known Member
I'm looking for reports on whether folks are using Par-al-ketone to protect their rudder cables. Is it worth acquiring some and coating the cables?

Thanks,

I'm looking for reports on whether folks are using Par-al-ketone to protect their rudder cables. Is it worth acquiring some and coating the cables?

Thanks,

If you are not in a saltwater or similar corrosive environments you do not need paralketone on your cables. I am hoping that Vans uses the aircraft spec wire rope, it comes lubed from the factory. It has a darker honey look to it within the strands.

If it looks clean and shiny when bird caged
(opened up by reversing the twist slighltly)
then it is not aircraft spec, and paralketone would be beneficial.

Sort of related, in the Cessna 180s, the galvanized cables seem to last indefinitely. But the stainless steel cables have a more limited life.

I do paint par-al-ketone on rudder cables, especially on certified aircraft. Why? A good friend of mine has been fighting the FAA from a shop safety inspection they did on a C-150 that was getting some avionics work done. He had done the last annual, and they claim they found rusted trim cables that shouldn't have passed the last annual.

Last edited:
Cable spec from the mothership:

My question to Van's:

Can you tell me if the rudder cables Van's makes are made with aircraft
grade cable that has been pre-coated with corrosion protectant or if
they're industrial grade cable that has not been corrosion treated?

The response Van's forwarded from their vendor:

The cables that we manufacture for you all use Mil-Dtl-83420 cable, which is
ALWAYS lubricated. Each wire and each strand is lubricated. This is help with
friction and prolong the life of the product. There is no additional corrosive
inhibitors added to your assemblies.

Thanks,