rvator51

Well Known Member
Is it considered a major modification to change from a fixed pitch wood prop to a metal fixed pitch prop? It does move the cg forward. If so, then according to my rvs ops limitations, I need to notify the FSDO and do at least 5 hrs of phase one testing again.

Hey Tom, When I went from fixed pitch to C/S in 2005, I had to request the lastest revision of operating limitations from FSDO. My limitations were dated June 2000 and did not include the line item that allowed you to put the plane back to Phase I for modifications. I'm guessing your limitations are even older than that...

The newer limitations include the verbage that you could do the modification, put the plane back in Phase I for (I believe) 5 hours, then do the paperwork yourself (in your logbooks). Mel or Gary Sobek can correct me here but all it took was a letter to FSDO asking for the latest version of operating limitations ;) Rosie

I think you are right, Rosie. That's what mine read. You need to place it back into Phase I and test for a minimum of 5 hrs. You can do a calculated W&B by weighing the new and old prop, measuring the arm and calculating the moments and adjust your EWCG. You might want to redo some of your Vs and see if anything changed. Then you can sign off the mod similarly as you endorsed it for the Phase II the first time.

Roberta

Thanks Roberta and Rosie! :)

I just checked with the Scottsdale FSDO as well as with a retired FSDO employee who has an RV also. They said changing from a wood prop to a metal prop is a major mod so I need to do the flight testing per my operating limitations. I had the limitations updated to the newer version a few years ago so I am ok on that. According to the limitations I only have to get their concurrance for the flight test area then I can do the fly-off. The other thing I was told to do is to file a new 8130-6 Application for Airworthiness form that shows the new propeller manufacturer and propeller model on it so the aircraft records that the FAA keeps can be updated.
Thanks again for your help!
Now to get this all done before Oshkosh. Always a rush.