phapp

Patron
For me, the baffles are probably the most challenging task yet.

The current issue is getting my head wrapped around the relationship between the lower cowl and the baffles.

The poor quality of the paper DWGS (OP-40) and photos is a huge factor.

The solution for me was the plans on CD that I have. Looking at them on the screen just made all the difference. I can actually see how they're supposed to be.

In fairness to Van's, the cost $$ difference for printing high resolution / high quality paper vs. on-screen display is huge.

At least for the baffles, bottom line tip is to get the plans on CD and view them on your screen. Looking back, it would have probably made a few of the processes easier. But for the baffles it was absolutely essential.

A Google search of "RV-8 baffle images" did not hurt either. Thanks to all of you who make the effort to post your build log images.

YMMV

Last edited:
I had no trouble with the quality of the printed drawings. My problem was adjusting to words. I'm still in the old school, slow build, mine the ore, make a billet and cut away everything that doesn't look like an RV mode. This is my 2nd -6 and the first baffle kit was just some suggestions. Having printed words that actually convey needed instructions was unique and frankly hard to adjust to. I still want to just make it up as I go (and I did.) Consider yourself lucky if print quality is the only issue.

I agree, the dwgs were very hard to read. They looked like copies of copies from a printer low on toner. Not the standard of quality I expected from vans.

Really?

I got B size drawings with my baffle kit and they were very clear and complete, are we literally all on the same page? I will get the change level of the drawing if you will.