flyeyes

Well Known Member
Just as I'm getting over the sting of losing the LORAN system (Oh, how I remember the joy I felt when I saw my first aviation LORAN--what a magic thing), my paper pilot certificate will become unairworthy at the end of next month.

For those of us who remember TCAs, ARSAs, and the rest, it might be worthwhile to check and make sure you have requested an updated certificate. It is easy to do online at faa.gov.

If you still have a paper certificate, it expires at the end of next month, and you can no longer fly with it.

Warning....... :D

You'll look like a "nubie" pilot when you get one of these.
The date of issuance is when they send the new one, and that's the date the
FAA database will provide.

I've seen a case of news people looking up the date to supply the pilot's credentials in an accident.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

But wouldn't you rather have 1 month old valid one than 15 years old invalid, would you? :D

I've seen a case of news people looking up the date to supply the pilot's credentials in an accident.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

If I'm involved in an accident, worrying about what data the newscasters have about me is WAY down on the list...

I stand behind Ron.....there's absolutely no need to not put the original date of issuance on the new license.

This is the way it's always been done. Even with the paper certificates, when you changed you address, you got a new date.

This is the way it's always been done. Even with the paper certificates, when you changed you address, you got a new date.

Yup - it looks like I've only been licensed since July of last year (when I added a rating), even though it's been well more than three decades....

Surely your not thinking the government is going to do something sensible are you?:)

And a tip to some who still have their social security number as their pilots license number. You can avoid the fee of getting the plastic card by going to the section on removing your social security number and filling that out. They will send the new number on a plastic card without any charge. I cannot confirm or deny that I have done something similar.:D