db8

Well Known Member
I have four spots cutout for square warning/switch lights on my RV-8 panel. After doing a little more research (am going to have dual GRT EFIS), I have decised not to have an EFIS warning light (since a warning will display on the EFISs). I am going to have a 1) boost pump light 2) oil pressure light and 3) volts warning light (for main alt -- have SD-8 as backup).

So, what do I use the last light for? A buddy recommended a flight attendant call button or a beer low light. Those are both excellent, but am wondering if there are any other thoughts on ones that might be useful? Thanks. Dave

I used a light hooked up to my EIS to give me a warning independent of the EFIS limit sets. The EIS has limit sensing as well, and I set the limits a little outside of those in the EFIS. Since (as you correctly assume) the EFIS warning messages get your attention just fine by themselves, you don't need a light hooked up to them. But if you were to operate without EFIS limit sensing, then the EIS would still alert you to problems.

With the EIS limits set outside of the EFIS ones, you will generally only get the EFIS warning before you fix the issue. If you get both, it should get your attention!

I call that my "Master Caution" light, and consider it very reliable.

Paul

What Paul said

My panel is set up similar to Pauls, one big red light for anything the EFIS doesnt like, and the specific cause will be displayed on the screen.

For what it's worth.....

I'm installing a bank of 6 LED lights for the following functions

Red - Low oil pressure
Green - Aux Fuel Pump On
Amber - Landing Lights On
Amber - Taxi Lights On
Red - Start switch enabled (I have a starter switch on my stick grip and a switch on the panel to enable it. Don't want to leave it enabled by accident)
Red - Alternator 1 inoperative (I too have an SD-8 backup alternator)

At the end of the day though, I'd defer to Paul's advice. This is my first build and I'm never 100% sure I've thought things through correctly.:eek:

Restroom occupied? Gear warning?

Oh, well, if you want to be serious about it, I like the canopy latch warning myself. But wouldn't a baggage latch warning be more pertinent on an -8?

Dave, I have 3/4 of your configuration. The remaining one is a white landing light wng.

Low voltage Landing light Fuel pump Oil pressure
**yellow** **white*** ***blue** ***red***

Yellow low voltage is fed by the L3R regulator from B&C.
Red light is fed by the oil pressure switch Van's sells (which also feds the hourmeter).
White and blue are fed by the relative breakers.

So, when battery is on, yellow starts flashing and red is steady on.
When engine is (well, will be) on, red switches off.
When alternator is (will) on, yellow will switch off.
Prior to take-off and land, you have to have in front of you two lights steady: white (landing) and blue (fuel pump).

Excellent ideas

Great thoughts. I had chatted with Carlos at GRT, and he recommended setting the oil pressure light with the EIS, so that's how I was going to get the oil pressure feed. However, with Camillo's and Paul's ideas, I get get one of the Van's sensors (for a dedicated oil light), and them have a yellow EIS (master caution) light with the perameters as set like Paul mentioned.

All my switches are lighted, so I will have a light illuminated for the taxi/landing lights, pitot heat, etc. They are just not located on the upper panel. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. Dave

That's what I did. It matchs with the size of Dynon in order to put above it.

PanelAlarmasRV9A

PanelAlarmasRV9A

Regards

If you add the warning light for the EIS it will give you the flexibility to use it for whatever you want.
I like to have non critical warnings on a separate indicator, such as the fight timer.