In the next year or two I will be in position to purchase a Flying RV-4. I am thinking it will be unlikely that I will find the perfect plane combination of engine / prop, Paint, panel etc. If I were to build an RV myself, I probably would go with a Dynon Flight Deck and I-Fly 700 (if both of those would fit), radio and transponder. I like how some guys build a structure under the panel between your legs for the radio stack. I think it has a nice military look to it. Anyway, how difficult would it be to remove steam gauges from an existing panel and add the items mentioned above? I read somewhere that the RV-3 panel is an integral part of the fuse and changing it would be difficult. Is that the same for the RV-4? What about ADS-B OUT? Do you think that will be the function of a Transponder or will I need room for something else?
Thanks for the help!
Dom

RV-4 panel

Dom,
I built a -4 with a "consol" stack between the bottom of the panel and the battery tunnel as you are describing. It does have the cool military look, but after flying for two years, I am going to make some changes based on ergonomics in the cockpit. I have a com radio and Xponder mounted just below the panel, with fuel guages and trim position indicators at the bottom. I really like the fuel guages there, but the Xponder and radio are not easy to access because of the stick in the way, and more importantly, with the seat harness snug its difficult to reach. I am leaving the Xponder there since it doesnt require alot of changing, but I am removing the radio and making a nice big map pocket there. I am going to install on of the small flightline type radios above in the panel itself. The -4 panel is structural, but not hard to remove for upgrades ...I suggest if you purchase a flying aircraft, you need to fly it a bit ...then you will know. Send me a PM,with your Email, and I can send you some pictures of the panel from both sides so you can get an idea of waht I am describing.

Search

Hi

If you search the forum there are several on this type of change to RV4's. If done to plans the panel is fixed with a couple of screws to the tops of the upper longerons and by the panel which fits behind the cowl.

After that panel has been removed everything is very accessible. Vans sell a standard short panel and a longer version. I have the longer one in my 4 which can be seen in the blog.

Ax-Os posts are very informative on this type of thing.

vans no longer sells the standard panel. they only sell the long version. but since you have to cut the arc anyway, it is no problem to make it a standard version. down side is you have to pay a few extra bucks for the taller blank.

some are easier than others to replace. when I built mine instead of riveting it in as per the plans, I installed mine with nut plates and socket head screws. after removing all the things in the panel I can have the panel out in about 1 minute.

bob burns
N82rb RV-4