Flybuddy2

Well Known Member
Got a steam gauge 6A that I'm wanting to redo the panel. I'm considering the 10" Skyview with engine monitoring pkg, adahrs, backup battery, gps module, etc. The downsides to this is that the Skyviews do not yet have moving map functionality nor weather capability. The map part should be rolling out in the summer so I can live with that but the weather function may be a long ways out. Other options would be a Dynon D180 optioned out plus a Garmin 696 or a D100, D120 setup plus 696. Pricing would run about:
$6500 for Skyview
$7500 for D180 plus 696
$8700 for D100/D120 plus 696.
Another possibility would be the Skyview plus a used 396 for the short term.
Opinions appreciated...thx Tom

How about Advanced Flight Systems AF-4500? All the functionalty you require is already available at comparable prices and (probably) better quality.

Pete

How about a D180 someone is trading in. $1800 (there are some out there used but never installed for sale)
Then a 696 from Stein. He had a almost new for $2900(there abouts), just the other day.

You could have do that combo for under $6K.

How about Advanced Flight Systems AF-4500? All the functionalty you require is already available at comparable prices and (probably) better quality.

Pete

Looks good, bit pricier with all options and a smaller screen. How does Advanced compare in quality and service to Dynon? I installed a Dynon setup in my last plane (a Velocity) and have been impressed with their products and service.

How about a D180 someone is trading in. $1800 (there are some out there used but never installed for sale)
Then a 696 from Stein. He had a almost new for $2900(there abouts), just the other day.

You could have do that combo for under $6K.

Thx---good thought

Looks good, bit pricier with all options and a smaller screen. How does Advanced compare in quality and service to Dynon? I installed a Dynon setup in my last plane (a Velocity) and have been impressed with their products and service.

I'm not totally impartial, but Advanced uses a certified AHRS platform, their software is very thoroughly tested and their engine sensors are probably better quality than Dynon - I have heard of several people burning out their Dynon EGT probes, the same just doesn't happen with Advanced. I'm not saying Dynon is in any way bad, just that I think Advanced is better and already have a moving map, synthetic vision and weather. Service is excellent, its a family run company that uses an RV-10 and RV-4 for testing.

Pete