lrfrey

Well Known Member
I've looked around for an answer to this question but couldnt find one, must be out there someplace.

How much clerance did you leave (provide) between the instrument panel and top forward skin? Did you use any type of edgeing on the panel? TIA

Larry

Larry:

I tried to make mine as close a fit as possible. I made a template of my panel out of 1/4" particle board...melamine I think it is called....Has paper on both sides of it.

I made that template just about 1/4" short of the top forward skin. Screw the template to your forward top fuselage ribs just as you will your finished panel. Then put some packaging tape on the underside of your top forward fuse skin and clecoe it in place.

Mix up a batch of run of the mill auto bondo and slather it into that 1/4" gap between your panel template and the top skin. Get plenty of it in there so there are no voids. Let it set and then take the top skin off and remove your template.

Sand down the bondo on one side flush to the face of the template. Then use the template to mark out how to cut your aluminum panel. Be sure to locate any holes where you screwed the template to your top fuse ribs etc so it is aligned for them as well.

Really worked well for me. No need for any dressing up of that joint at all. I can email you a picture if you are interested.

Regards,