vfr800

Well Known Member
So we've gathered most of the pieces to execute our panel revision over the past 9 months or so. Now we're ready to put them to good use. The one thing I'm not sure about is the EXPBUS solid state breaker system that we have. Any one out there using it in an IFR panel? If so, please share your thoughts or experience. Just want to make sure it'd be an appropriate component in the end, or that the cost of replacing is justified. Any input is appreciated from wisdom of the forum.

I entertain the VP-X unit because it'd easily interface with the 8.4in GRT Hx's, and I like a lot of the features it brings to the table (trim speed different at high and low airspeeds, starter protected when engine running, etc, etc). But the price tag holds me back.

We could always switch over the old fashioned circuit breakers... not free either.

Here's the current panel and the rough sketch of the goal result. (Once we get a 430w, it'll replace the EIS4000, which will likely get remote mounted at that point; the audio panel will go to the top of the stack).

The initial panel was via Affordable Panels, but we might be going with someone local and change to a traditional one piece panel. Also open to any lessons learned with that switch.

2a5nlg3.jpg

2j3qpvk.jpg

Panel main components:
Dual AHRS 8.4 GRT Hx's, TruTrak VSVG AP, PMA8000b, SL40, GTX330, EXP BUS indicator module and switches (or VP-X, or push-pull breakers).

Thanks,
Ryan

Just a few thoughts

You have a nice, clean layout there. Here are just some thoughts.

I put my second GRT screen to the right of the radio stack, ditto the head for the AP and the ELT head so that the passenger could use them. I put the flap switch, as others have also suggested, where I can use it while my hand is on the throttle. I also put a push-to-talk button on the panel near the radio so that I could remove the right side stick easily.

Picture of mine on my website, link below.

I put the GRT EIS all the way on the right since it's redundant and used the space for things I actually look at.

I like what you did with the switches (I did something similar. Mine are breaker/switches and the 5-over-5 layout means that you can tell what you are doing even in the dark.

In my view I would get rid of the EXp Bus as soon as possible. I have had one for 8 years, it is now occasionally giving momentary power glitches - very difficult to figure out what is at fault. It is also difficult to add any circuits. The only thing I like is the panel light dimmer.

Pete

You know, that D-10A would make a very nice "Dissimilar" backup to the GRT over on the right side of the panel - more useful when the chips are down in the clouds than a glovebox.....;)

My experience with two GRT screens is that I never, ever look at my EIS (it is down on a lower side panel in the -8), and having the two screens right next to each other gives me plenty of real estate to show what I want. You plan of replacing it with a 430 would work out well based on what I have learned.

I have never found the hardware/hardwired electrical system to be an issue, personally - simple, reliable, and actually pretty easy to wire. And yes, you have to pay for circuit breakers and switches!

Paul

I personally think the VP-X is a great solution! ;)

If you add up all the things you don't have to buy, it's really not that expensive. Plus a ton of softer benefits too.

You know, that D-10A would make a very nice "Dissimilar" backup to the GRT over on the right side of the panel - more useful when the chips are down in the clouds than a glovebox.....;)

My experience with two GRT screens is that I never, ever look at my EIS (it is down on a lower side panel in the -8), and having the two screens right next to each other gives me plenty of real estate to show what I want. You plan of replacing it with a 430 would work out well based on what I have learned.

I have never found the hardware/hardwired electrical system to be an issue, personally - simple, reliable, and actually pretty easy to wire. And yes, you have to pay for circuit breakers and switches!

Paul

But a glovebox will be handy every day and that Dynon might fund some of the panel revision expense... just joshing, mostly. ;) Seriously though, with two screens, two AHRS units, battery back up, and a TruTrak AP (oh, and a portable GPS with a panel page), am I being rediculous not having another attitude indicator/altimeter for IFR work?

On the EIS placement, the more I think about it all, I might remove the EXP BUS indicator panel in favor of the VP-X. Then I could place the EIS above the glove box for immediate info on start up, basic redundancy, etc.

I appreciate the inputs!

Ryan

Hmmm...

In my view I would get rid of the EXp Bus as soon as possible. I have had one for 8 years, it is now occasionally giving momentary power glitches - very difficult to figure out what is at fault. It is also difficult to add any circuits. The only thing I like is the panel light dimmer.

Pete

Maybe that's why the Kuntzleman strobe's been acting up lately! It's on my to-do list to trouble shoot next time at the hangar. Curious if it's the power pack for the strobe or maybe the power to the pack.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

But a glovebox will be handy every day and that Dynon might fund some of the panel revision expense... just joshing, mostly. ;) Seriously though, with two screens, two AHRS units, battery back up, and a TruTrak AP (oh, and a portable GPS with a panel page), am I being rediculous not having another attitude indicator/altimeter for IFR work?

Actually, the Dual Screen/Dual AHRS/TT Autopilot is exactly what I have in my -8, and I am totally happy with the redundancy (with good redundant power systems, of course). I just figured that if you already have the D10A.....

You could lose the Hobbs meter and just rely on the GRT EFIS hours if you wanted. The Garmin X96 also tracks time and flights nicely.

Erich