Hey all,

So, I'm diving into rebuilding my aging analog panel. I am not the builder of the airplane so a good amount I don't know (I will have an A&P assisting to make it legal and general help). I ordered the replacement panel from vans and have avionics on standby. I'm going with the D-100, EI UBG 16, garmin sl 30, garmin 396, and a panel mount iPad running wing X. I'm keeping some engine analog gauges.

Is there a good led lighting solution?
How about painting?
With the engine analyzer I'm getting the fuel flow option. So do I need to keep the fuel level indicators, they have not been reliable anyways. The only benefit would be protection from a possible fuel leak. I would like the panel space though

Anyways, any inputs at all would be helpful. Tools, construction techniques, tips, media links on how to,,, etc would be great

Thanks
Scott
RV-6 tip up canopy

From a legality standpoint, you are required to have a fuel gauge of some sort for each fuel tank. Remember also the only time the gauge is required to accurate is when it shows empty.

Gents,

Did not look up the regs before posting, if they say they are necessary then thats that. Although it may although it may stir up a hornets nest, fuel gauges seem to be a waste (at least the regular type,, not the accurate capacitance types). I am a U-2 pilot and last month I flew from Hawaii to Osan Korea with only a fuel totalizator (11.4hrs). The original design did not have fuel level systems due to weight, and they just never saw the need to include it since.
Cheers,
Scott

Scott-

Not sure how much the EI UBG 16 is or what all it does, but you would probably save yourself some money and have a lot of extra engine instrumentation if you switched from a D100 to a D180 and just ditch the EI. The single D180 would have (dare I say) everything you would need to be legal and then some, and the wiring would all be much simpler as opposed to wiring up a lot of separate instruments or gauges. In addition, the Dynon D180 includes fuel flow, a totalizer, as well as remarkably accurate tank gauges (that, on my a/c, get their data from float sensors). For example, at fill up the Dynon correctly reads my float senders to within a gallon. Seriously, I would HIGHLY recommend you look up what the D180 does before you plunk money down on any other engine instrumentation.

What you're describing sounds a lot like my panel...

1116qe0.jpg

Note that the only backup I have is an ASI and altimeter. For VFR, I am entirely comfortable with this.

Do a search on some of your other topics, like "LED panel lights" and you should get plenty of ideas. I use a $30 LED strip above my glareshield that works fantastically and you can pretty much get whatever color you want.

And, as noted above, the only reason to bring an A&P into the process is for your peace of mind. No legal requirement at all and building panels (especially if you just by the optional Dynon harnesses) are pretty simple to do.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Last edited:
Scott,

Since you didn't disclose your mission, I'm a little hesitant to make specific recommendations for your panel. It appears that you are looking to configure a RV-6 VFR panel.

I would second Steve's comment about the UBG 16. I had one in my Cherokee. It's a great piece of gear, but doesn't come close to the functionality you can get in a modern day experimental EFIS.

I personally prefer Advanced Flight Systems products, but I'm sure that both GRT and Dynon products will work great for you as well.

I would also recommend looking at a current model EFIS ( Skyview, AFS 5500, GRT HXr). These will cost a little more, but will help the resale value. Besides all the additional functionality you will get, you will also have more options available to you should you decide to upgrade your panel to IFR, an auto pilot, or adds things like ADSB down the road.

If budget is really tight, then like Steve mentioned, I would at least upgrade to a D180.

I know that at least AFS has some demo models listed for sell on their web site. That may be a way to save a few bucks as well.

Bob

Just to repeat: the FAR's equipment list says "normally certified" aircraft, so fuel gauges are not required if you fly day vfr only. Your operating limitations most likely allow night vfr or ifr but only if you do follow those equipment regulations.

Gents,

Did not look up the regs before posting, if they say they are necessary then thats that. Although it may although it may stir up a hornets nest, fuel gauges seem to be a waste (at least the regular type,, not the accurate capacitance types). I am a U-2 pilot and last month I flew from Hawaii to Osan Korea with only a fuel totalizator (11.4hrs). The original design did not have fuel level systems due to weight, and they just never saw the need to include it since.
Cheers,
Scott

The float type gauges in my -6 are very accurate. All it took was leveling the airplane and writing down the readings on the gauges as I added fuel 2 gallons at a time. Not that a totalizer isn't better (as long as you get the math right at fill-up), but there is a substantial increase in cost from float type gauges to any other solution.

Thanks,,

Ya I'm on a pretty tight budget. I plan on limited IFR. The resevation i have with Going with the D180 is that I will have to switch between HSI and engine instruments which I am not a fan of. I have the Vans analog engine gauges from the old panel which I like, got the UBG to babysit all four cylinders.

Appreciate all the info
Scott

Thanks,,

Ya I'm on a pretty tight budget. I plan on limited IFR. The resevation i have with Going with the D180 is that I will have to switch between HSI and engine instruments which I am not a fan of. I have the Vans analog engine gauges from the old panel which I like, got the UBG to babysit all four cylinders.

Appreciate all the info
Scott

hi Scott,

Our RV-6 got a new panel about five years ago, and it was done on a budget with Dynon Legacy equipment. We used the D10A along with the D180, and that gives the ability to put the engine data on the D10A and split the screen on the D180 between PFD and HSI. It works fine (along with the SL30 for VHF NAV and a 396 for GPS and moving map). No IFR GPS, which is a big limitation these days, but it is reasonably safe for an occasional IFR departure of approach with good alternates.

Paul

GRT?

I was looking at the GRT site the other day and it appears that you can sync any Android tablet to the main unit as an alternate display (e.g., engine gauges). Android tablets are selling now for under $100. If I am correct, this seems like a very nice low cost solution.

Ironflight,

Sounds like we got about the same thing going. Contrary to the popular responses I cant go with the extra 2k+ for the Dynon engine option. I ended up getting the UBG 16 for 900 bucks with probes, so hard to pass up. I will have the 396 and sl 30 just like yourself,,, nice units.

On a separate note. Has anybody used the Levil AHARS with an IPAD (using wingx or any other attitude app). I have wingX and was thinking of running the Levil ahrars unit as a backup attitude??

Thanks for the responses,
Scott

Merry X-mas !!!!!!

Enjoy the rebuild Scott - it is a fun process. Anyone who'd driving U-2's around probably has their head screwed on straight about what they need to fly under any conditions they are likely to encounter. Your plans sound good to me.

One note for you on doing it on a budget - lots of guys here are upgrading their panels at various times, and end up with used gear sitting on shelves....it's always worth advertising for needed equipment - you might get a heck of a bargain!

Paul