rwarre

Well Known Member
Planning on installing the MGL Voyager in my 7A. Trying to decide what I need for IFR flight. I thought about going with the Garmin 430, but with so many features on the Voyager do I really need the 430. Would a com radio and a KNS-80 work for VOR/GPS instead of the 430? Thanks to the group.

RNAV not same as GPS

A KNS-80 will theoretically allow you to fly RNAV approaches (not GPS)--what's in a name? However once you begin to fly a lot of IFR you would be amazed at how often VORs are out of service--even worse now that the FAA is in the "GPS or bust" mode. When VORs are out of service, you have "black holes" in your RNAV solution. Also, using a KNS-80 for RNAV is not exactly user friendly. Most people I see use the KNS-80 only use the DME and Nav/Loc/GS function.

A GNS-430 is MORE than the sum of it's parts-(VHF Nav/Com/Loc/GS and TSO 146a WAAS GPS) and I don't think the Voyage does any of the 430s basic functions. Personally, I would not rely on any EFIS, with the exception of the G-900/1000, in place of a TSO 146a GPS. That doesn't mean I would not use it IFR, only that I would not rely on it as sole means navigation. I would "drive" the EFIS with an IFR approved navigator--but that's just me.