BlakeB

Well Known Member
Guys,

I'm in the process of purchasing a RV6. I have plans to upgrade the panel. It currently has GRT WS screens (which I will be upgrading to the HX screens) It also has a digiflight II autopilot. I plan to remove the digiflight and replace the servos with the GRT's so I will control my AP thru the GRT screens. My question is if I remove the digiflight I will have a hole in my panel. What do I do with the hole? Its the rectangular digiflight ap control. Looks to be about 2" wide & 1" tall.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance?

Panel hole

If you want it as invisible as possible make a flush patch: fab a perfectly fitted plug (like a machinist would) for the hole out of the same thickness alum as the panel, then make a backer out of .032" alum 1/4" bigger on all sides than the plug. Install from the forward side and rivet all pieces together & to the panel with the small head cs rivets. Paint to match.

Easier quicker way is just make a plate 1/4" bigger than the hole, install on cockpit side with cs screws & nuts, paint to match & install usb charging ports or switches.

Don B

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Guys,

I'm in the process of purchasing a RV6. I have plans to upgrade the panel. It currently has GRT WS screens (which I will be upgrading to the HX screens) It also has a digiflight II autopilot. I plan to remove the digiflight and replace the servos with the GRT's so I will control my AP thru the GRT screens. My question is if I remove the digiflight I will have a hole in my panel. What do I do with the hole? Its the rectangular digiflight ap control. Looks to be about 2" wide & 1" tall.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance?

Get a new piece of aluminum from Van's and make a new panel (~$25). Once you get into it you'll think of something else to change anyway. All it takes is some time cutting holes and a little paint.

RV-8 (on fifth panel over 14 years)
RV-10 (on second panel after four years)

I like the USB thought....

Thanks!

If you want it as invisible as possible make a flush patch: fab a perfectly fitted plug (like a machinist would) for the hole out of the same thickness alum as the panel, then make a backer out of .032" alum 1/4" bigger on all sides than the plug. Install from the forward side and rivet all pieces together & to the panel with the small head cs rivets. Paint to match.

Easier quicker way is just make a plate 1/4" bigger than the hole, install on cockpit side with cs screws & nuts, paint to match & install usb charging ports or switches.

Don B

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress