sonny junell

Well Known Member
Have any of you turned your XRX into a panel mount? Either by some how in-setting the complete unit into the dash ??. or by removing the antenna, moving it externally and then flush mount the control unit in the panel and wiring it to your favorite MFD. ,

I guess worst case Scenario (not that bad) is building a low profile permanent enclosure on top the dash.

I am looking at skywatch @ $$$ and the Zaon unit @ $. Nothing you don't know.

Any helpful commentary would be appreciated

Never thought about flush mounting an XRX....

I was planning on a Mode-S transponder and displaying the data on the EFIS....

Bro I was kicking that idea around as well,

the only caveat I can come to for that is for some reason the FAA is disabling the TIS system in certain markets or centers, WTF?

I believe this is due to ADS-B?. ??? With that said quite a few mountain airports that we fly too, do not have the TIS available.

Bro I was kicking that idea around as well,

the only caveat I can come to for that is for some reason the FAA is disabling the TIS system in certain markets or centers, WTF?

I believe this is due to ADS-B?. ??? With that said quite a few mountain airports that we fly too, do not have the TIS available.

The Zaon units have nothing to do with TIS. They only work off of transponder replies to radar interrogations of your transponder. TIS is actual data relayed to your transponder that then gets displayed on an MFD/GPS/EFIS, etc.

The Zaon units have nothing to do with TIS. They only work off of transponder replies to radar interrogations of your transponder. TIS is actual data relayed to your transponder that then gets displayed on an MFD/GPS/EFIS, etc.

Correct! However the FAA is/will be disabling TIS or MODE S data link, service from tracon.

Back to the burning question, any one panel mounted this XRX?

I looked at it - they have a panel mount bracket. It shouldn't be hard, but I want to be able to use the XRX in the CT or the glider, so I abandoned the panel-mount idea.

TODR

XRX mount

While I did not mount the XRX in the panel, I did mount it in the baggage area and it does appear to work okay. Installed before our trip to Az, Cheyenne, Wy and South Dakota. Not alot of traffic in some of those areas, but last weekend our EAA chapter had a poker run with 23 airplanes and we had lots of targets to track.

20090409_105.jpg

I have it connected to a GRT efis for the traffic display.

Thanks for the PIC, and the XRX just comes on with power? I guess? Or is that a pre-flight item to turn it on?

Zaon XRX

The XRX has a factory modification so that it turns on when power is applied. You need to RMA it back to Zaon for I think $20 to get that option. I have not done it yet, but intend to after Sun n Fun. Currently, the pilot can reach the power button and the ack button to start it up, then the GRT displays any traffic. GRT displays S mode traffic from a 330 and XRX traffic the same way as follows:

20090313_008.jpg

Now this picture was taken in my hangar with the pressure altitude on the XRX cranked up to 10000 feet so I could "see" traffic coming from Glen Rose VOR into DFW.

One of the nice features of an experimental airplane is that I can try this approach to get traffic into my panel.