n824rv

I am in the planning stage of my instrument panel in my RV-7A and would like to mount a portable GPS in the panel. There are a few out there that I am interested in the Garmin 196 , 296 or AvMap EKP IV or the AvMap GeoPilot that is offered from Sporty's. It really looks like a nice unit for the price. I am going to have it interface with my Navaid Autopilot through a Smart Coupler. Has anyone out there had any success or problems (washed out screen etc.) with any of these units. Also any problems or success coupling to the autopilot. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Have a look at the Lowrance 2000c also. I looked at all of them and was most impressed with this unit. I bought it to interface with the EZ Pilot A/P. I've tried it in other aircraft since our RV is not flying yet. It is very easy to use and loaded with a topographical mapset is very accurate. I was flying a plane with Garmin 295, Garmin 430, and Garmin IQue 3600. (Yes, all at once) My Lowrance was the easiest to read and gave the most information. Dollar for dollar, a good value. I've been a Garmin guy since day one, but have now switched.
Cheers, Pete

Garmin 295/TruTrak A/P

I panel mounted my Garmin 295 under a Dynon Unit. I wire (serial out) to connect to the autopilot. An External power cable with the serial in/out wires is available for the 295 unit from Fry's for $20 or so. I used this and had the whole thing connected in 10 minutes. (ignore the clecos :))

dsc001218wu.jpg

Rusty