miyu1975

Well Known Member
Hello all... After reading many good reviews on the nexus 7 for cockpit use I decided to buy one after deciding I wanted something smaller than my iPad.. (and didn't want to spend big bucks for the iPad mini). So I picked up a Nexus 7 on ebay and received it today. My plan is to mount it on the panel and was hoping someone of the greater good may share how they accomplished this.

At this point I am planning to buy this... http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-TAB16U and mount directly on the panel.

Thanks for ideas..
ryan

Tab-tite

Hi Ryan,

Tab-tite works great on my Nexus 7. I have it on a short arm mount off the left side of the cabin. It puts maps and traffic right where they are easily seen. I like the arm mount to allow for slight tilting to avoid glare. I'll get some pics to post.

The Nexus 7 is fast and bright. The 5.0 Lollipop software has been very stable for me as well. They are so cheap (sub $100 used) that I bought 2 of them.

I think that's the Ram that I used. Mine came with 3 or 4 different 'ears' to allow different thickness devices (I can leave the case on mine while in the mount). Works fine with my original Nexus.

Charlie

Ryan, I made a holder for my tablet that so I could quickly slip it in and out without removing it from its case when I enter and exit the airplane.

SkyviewAndTablet.jpg

The holder is mounted with two Ram mounts and a short arm between them so I can position it for best visibility under any lighting conditions. Since panel space is at a premium in my '8A, I attached one Ram mount in a lightening hole on a gusset on the side of the fuselage with a sheet metal disc and nut plates (sorry about the blurry image):

RamBallMount.jpg

SkyviewAndTablet2.jpg

Standard composite construction techniques: wrap the tablet (in its closed case) with Saran wrap, then packing tape for mold release. Wrap that with about 3 layers of fiberglass cloth wetted with West Systems epoxy. Cure, slide the tablet out, cut an opening to show the screen, sand, fill, sand some more, and paint. Sounds like a lot more work than it is but it's not bad if you're set up for composite work. Or bend up some aluminum and rivet it.

Like Pete, I think so highly of the Nexus 7 (2013 model) that I bought two.

--
Joe

I use a suction mount on the side of the canopy for my Nexus 7. Works great.

RK9YovzZ1LY1nGYN9GAwQxfa1DuduBqBSng5KEXaNyY=w558-h744-no

Hello all... After reading many good reviews on the nexus 7 for cockpit use I decided to buy one after deciding I wanted something smaller than my iPad.. (and didn't want to spend big bucks for the iPad mini). So I picked up a Nexus 7 on ebay and received it today. My plan is to mount it on the panel and was hoping someone of the greater good may share how they accomplished this.

At this point I am planning to buy this... http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-TAB16U and mount directly on the panel.

Thanks for ideas..
ryan

Here is what I did: I mounted a RAM BALL Adapter on each side of the cockpit. Cut the baseplate some and painted black to streamline it with the cockpit rail. On the right side I already had USB power on the panel, on the left I installed another plug below the mount - see pic.
This worked out best for me, I can mount different pads there by simply changing the holder for the pad. I once had a foldable tray below the throttle in the center however the present location is far better.

Nice!

Herman - very nicely done!

Here is what I did: I mounted a RAM BALL Adapter on each side of the cockpit. Cut the baseplate some and painted black to streamline it with the cockpit rail. On the right side I already had USB power on the panel, on the left I installed another plug below the mount - see pic.
This worked out best for me, I can mount different pads there by simply changing the holder for the pad. I once had a foldable tray below the throttle in the center however the present location is far better.

Eerie optical illusion in Steve's photo of the canopy; looks like a car window sized rounded opening is cut in the side of the canopy....