Reddsky1

This may be a real simple question, but how do you mark your panels with the appropriate labels. Do you use decals or stencils. Most everything on the panel has to be labeled ie. fuses, gauges, annunciator lights.

What is the best way,

Thanks for any help.

Reddky1

RV-8 tail finished, waiting for the wings

office max PT-2100, $70

it was on sale a month ago for $40. Can you believe that?

I used the 3/4" tz tape. clear with white letters.
I had to go to office depot for the tape. They have the same machine, but it is $80 regular price.

It connects to the computer usb. I loaded their software. My swithces are on 7/8" centers. The software pops up with a ruler above the tape. I laid out my label, printed once, made a couple of adjustments, printed a second time, done. Plus, you can save the layout for changes later.

Overlays

Another method is to make overlays with the labels on them.
The overlay is held on by the nuts on the switches and/or breakers.

This was just made for me by these guys...

http://engravers.net/aircraft/custom-placards.htm

rv-labels.jpg

My panel should need no labels or engraving on it... they are all on the overlays.

Lighting switches are engraved rockers - sort of "self labelled"....:)

rocker1.jpg

gil A

Last edited:
Another method is to make overlays with the labels on them.
The overlay is held on by the nuts on the switches and/or breakers.

This was just made for me by these guys...

Good folks to deal with, they did my switches also.

Satisfied customer for sure.

I like the overlay idea, thanks:)

I made full page decal sheets (including spares) on my computer's inkjet printer. Used Avery full sheet clear labels, and then sprayed clear coat from a rattle can over them --- before cutting and attaching to panel. Every letter on this panel including passenger warning and other colored labels are done this way. Makes it easy to make changes, and sizing for switch locations.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7180/dsc05219reducedwv2.jpg

Last edited:
As mentioned above, I used a p-touch label maker. You don't need a fancy one. They all seem to print about the same sizes, etc. I got a fancy one and used the PC design software, which apparently works on the less expensive models as well.

Also, be sure to have your label maker ready for your DAR inspection. You can get gigged on things you didn't think needed to be labeled. For example, I got gigged on my throttle, prop and mixture controls not being labeled. It was no big deal though, 5 minutes later and I had three little labels on there.

Thanks to everyone for the great Ideas.

Do most builders spray clear coat over the labels??

Reddsky1

I thought about the clear coat, but decided not to. It takes about 10 seconds to print new labels. Also, I wanted to keep the semi-gloss finish, not a gloss finish.