Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I am working on marking my panel. My question is if I need anything for the gas gages other than what is already on them? I have UMA 1 1/4 inch gages. They have the words "fuel qty" at the bottom and around the gage is:
E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, F.
They are mounted side by side so the one on the right is the right tank and the one on the left is the left tank.
Thanks in advance!

I guess what I am wondering is if I need anything such as "Left Tank" or "Right Tank" or the number of gallons each tank holds?

I guess what I am wondering is if I need anything such as "Left Tank" or "Right Tank" or the number of gallons each tank holds?

I "think" the gallons the tank holds needs to be marked where the filler is, not necessarily on the instrument...but I might label the instruments themselves "Left" and "Right" if it were me.

Cheers,
Stein

I "think" that the gallons needs to be at the fuel selector valve.

At least that's how my Cessna 180 is set up, fuel gauges marked in fractions, and the selector valve marked in gallons.

Dave

I went and looked it up...No label or specific marking actually required on the instrument itself for those instruments (though there is some language in various AC's about 'unsafe limits'). Now, just because something isn't required doesn't mean it isn't a good idea!

The fuel quantity and grade must be marked at the filler location - I've never heard of a selector valve markings requirement as mentioned - those certainly aren't required, though if they were put on in a certified aircraft then you'll likely need to keep that specific certified configuration in that specific certified aircraft..

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Stein

I went and looked it up...No label or specific marking actually required on the instrument itself for those instruments (though there is some language in various AC's about 'unsafe limits'). Now, just because something isn't required doesn't mean it isn't a good idea!

The fuel quantity and grade must be marked at the filler location - I've never heard of a selector valve markings requirement as mentioned - those certainly aren't required, though if they were put on in a certified aircraft then you'll likely need to keep that specific certified configuration in that specific certified aircraft..

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Stein

Not as I read it for certified aircraft.

From Part 23.1337

...(b) Fuel quantity indication. There must be a means to indicate to the flightcrew members the quantity of usable fuel in each tank during flight. An indicator calibrated in appropriate units and clearly marked to indicate those units must be used. In addition: ...

Appropriate units are mentioned, so the capacity must be labeled nearby if your indicator is E - 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 - F

This is exactly how my Tiger is marked...:)

Note that accuracy is only required at zero...:)

...(1) Each fuel quantity indicator must be calibrated to read ?zero? during level flight when the quantity of fuel remaining in the tank is equal to the unusable fuel supply determined under ? 23.959(a); ...

Not as I read it for certified aircraft.

From Part 23.1337

...(b) Fuel quantity indication. There must be a means to indicate to the flightcrew members the quantity of usable fuel in each tank during flight. An indicator calibrated in appropriate units and clearly marked to indicate those units must be used. In addition: ...

Appropriate units are mentioned, so the capacity must be labeled nearby if your indicator is E - 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 - F

This is exactly how my Tiger is marked...:)

Note that accuracy is only required at zero...:)

...(1) Each fuel quantity indicator must be calibrated to read ?zero? during level flight when the quantity of fuel remaining in the tank is equal to the unusable fuel supply determined under ? 23.959(a); ...

Ummm....an RV isn't a part 23 certified aircraft. If you are working on your flying part 23 airplane, then I concur, but what about your flying experimental RV?

Cheers,
Stein

Ummm....an RV isn't a part 23 certified aircraft. If you are working on your flying part 23 airplane, then I concur, but what about your flying experimental RV?

Cheers,
Stein

I read the initial post as what "good practices" are out there.

If it's an experimental RV-12, then this actually applies -

AC 45-4 -- Subject: Identification, marking, and placarding of aircraft issued special airworthiness certificates in the light-sport category (S-LSA) and aircraft issued experimental certificates for the purpose of operating light-sport aircraft (E-LSA)

29. How should fuel quantity indicators be marked? Each fuel tank should have an indicator to report fuel quantity. An analog fuel quantity indicator should display to the operator the current fuel quantity and show a mark at the zero-fuel quantity. Zero-fuel quantity means zero quantity of useable fuel remaining in the tank. For a powered parachute and weight-shift control aircraft, the indicator could be as simple as a zero quantity marked site tube or translucent fuel tank. Electronic fuel quantity displays should use similar marking schemes as their analog equivalents. Other means to indicate fuel status would be acceptable if the operator is able to ascertain the current fuel quantity compared to the zero-fuel quantity. All markings, whether analog or electronic displays, should be explained in the AOI/POH.

But....

If you don't want the Part 23 requirements, which reference do you use for this bit of Part 23, Appendix D that we are required to follow every year?

(4) Instruments?for poor condition, mounting, marking, and (where practicable) improper operation.

Each fuel tank filler location needs to labeled, as Stein said.
The selector valve needs to be labeled left, right, off, both or however each detent works.
The gauges need to be marked at least for full and empty.
I have been around for quite a few DAR inspections and they have always checked for that, as well as for a label on every switch and knob in sight. (Although they usually don't require markings on an infinity or other grips with a bunch of switches, which I have always thought was odd.)
At any rate, that has been my experience.
Good luck.

Each fuel tank filler location needs to labeled, as Stein said.
The selector valve needs to be labeled left, right, off, both or however each detent works.
The gauges need to be marked at least for full and empty.
I have been around for quite a few DAR inspections and they have always checked for that, as well as for a label on every switch and knob in sight. (Although they usually don't require markings on an infinity or other grips with a bunch of switches, which I have always thought was odd.)
At any rate, that has been my experience.
Good luck.

Bingo - My experience (having actually finished and flown a number of these) is the same!

Whatever you do, just go build the thing and have fun. Time spent building is much more valuable than time spent theorizing or over studying/reading! If you have something labeled wrong the DAR will tell you when you get the inspection...which is the goal here (get to the inspection). :)

Cheers,
Stein

Most DARs are pretty flexible about letting you fix these things on the spot.
Mine said, "I know you have to fly to a compass rose to fill in the compass correction card, and you cannot fly until I sign you off, but the card should be filled in; so I'm going to look at the wingtip, and maybe when I return it will be filled in.(!!) He also wanted the stick buttons labeled; I wrote the functions on small pieces of paper and glued them on while he waited.

I would be somewhat leery of an inspector that did not find anything.
I've certificated over 700 experimental and light-sport aircraft and have found only 3 that I could not find a discrepancy.