Don

Well Known Member
I'm building a 9A and my panel will be built around a dual Grand Rapids EFIS. My plan had been to mount the units over-and-under and I had always imagined the top unit would be the PFD and the lower unit would be the moving map or a combination of moving map and engine instruments.

As the construction progressed reality reared its ugly head. I discovered there's a structural rib right where I'd planned to put the GRT units. I've seen plenty of peoply modify the rib but its more work that I'm inclined to get into now (I want to fly). The simple solution appears to be to revise my plan and put a unit left and right of the rib to resolve the conflict. I'm guessing the 7's (and maybe the 6's too) have a similar panel structure. Has anyone done a side-by-side EFIS layout and are you happy with the layout? I'm particularly interested in hearing from folks actually flying experience with the side-by-side EFIS units but any opinions are welcome.

I suspect my concerns about the side-by-side layout are more over my perception of what the scan will be like and the over-and-under layout seems preferable...but I'm guessing it really comes down to what you're used to.

The other thing I had wondered about was going with an after market panel like the Affordable Panel system, and whether that would give me back the option for an easy way to get the over-and-under arrangement.

Hi Don,

The side by side arrangement works out just fine from a flight perspective. We've probably installed several dozen of those screens that way. But...(there is always a but), that being said it's still pretty hard to get them mounted nicely and high up on the panel without modifying the rib. Do you have a slider or tipup? The rib placement makes a lot of difference between the two. The slider ribs are a breeze to modify, and the tipper ones really aren't that bad either.

Either way, having them side by side really doesn't impact the usability that much. Since all of the screens are in effect MFD's you can pick & choose which info you want on your PFD screen. With the GRT's you can display part of the engine info, moving map, etc.. on it without loosing your PFD.

The up/down placement has it's own problems with panel height limitations. The aftermarket panels don't buy you anything, in fact with any of the modular panels (ours included) you actually lose usable space because of the mounting frame behind it, which then means you have to get an "XL" type panel, just to buy back the space you've lost with the frame. The easier solution is to cut a clean panel from flat stock and make it exactly the size you need. Remember the GRT screens mount from the front anyway, so popping out 4 screws means you have a huge hole to work with after they are removed - which is a good thing.

Hope I didn't confuse you more!

Cheers,
Stein.

Moving half of that rib (only the part between panel and subpanel) is not a whole lot of work. I don't think it'd fit nicely one on each side of the rib if you were to keep that rib in place. The left one would have to be lowered as the panel curves.. if it can even fit at all (can't remember now)

I put mine side by side and I like that config now better than top-bottom. I think it's a bit easier to "scan" when they're side-by-side. But I expect you'll get different responses on this list as folks have different preferences.

(not flying yet, but stared at it many many times -- flew top-bottom in an -8 but I guess that doesn't count).

Been there, done that

Although I have a 10, the concerns are the same as yours.

I bought a partially completed airplane, with the panel done. Dual GRTs mounted vert, EIS, and radios. No round gauges at all.

I am not comfortable with only glass, so I cut up a very nice, already finished panel to start over, and add backup round gauges, and an auto pilot.

My layout concerns were the same as yours, put the GRTs side by side, and NOT cut into the panel ribs. I ended up with the screens mounted just low enough to clear the rib, which left just enough room above them for the auto pilot-----a TruTrack flat pack, and a set of warning lights. Round gauges below the GRTs, and the radio stack mounted just to the right of the center rib.

Everyone who has seen my new panel likes it a lot better than the old one.

It can be done, stick with it. You will be happy you did.

Mike

I had similar issues ...

I was convinced that I wanted dual GRT's in an over/under configuration, because I'm also putting in some 3 1/4 steam gauges. Fabian at Affordable Panels is the guy that really got me to consider going side-by-side.

For my 7A slider, I finally settled on a custom One-piece panel from Fabian with side-by-side GRT's and steam gauges under the DU's. It's the same size as the XL panel. The radio stack is offset to clear the center rib and I only had to cut a very small part from the left rib for the GRT's.

I'm working on panel stuff right now and I'm very pleased with panel from Fabian.

SteinAir at S n F ??

Are you going to be at SnF this year ??
I would like to talk to you about wiring my panel and if your going to be there then we can talk face to face.
Bob

Slider or tip up?

SteinAir said:
Do you have a slider or tipup?

Stein,

I'm building a slider (gosh don't you remember we spoke at OSH last year!<g>). Like a lot of folks I waivered back and forth. Finally picked the slider because it appears to protect the avionics better, it appears stronger in the open position (against wind mostly), and of course, there's that coolness factor. I'm committed to it now.

Don

Don said:
Finally picked the slider because it appears to protect the avionics better,
Don

That they do-------a buddy toasted his com by washing the plane, tip up.

Seems to me that a cover for the avionics should be fairly easy to make up.

Mike

Move the aft rib

For the hour it will take you to cut and move the rib, it's well worth it. Make it the way you want, that hour is just a blip.

Jim

no rib modifications w/ side/side GRTs

Hi,

No 'right' answer here, just what works for you. As an example, you can get dual GRTs side by side in a 7A tip up without modification of the rib structure. Also a set of 4x 3 1/4" round instruments below is possible too. The limiting factor becomes 'switches' - they have to go somewhere else.

Web_Img_8323.jpg

With the tip up - I don't see huge value in modular panels, just cut and work the stock one, on a slider - more value, but does require the additional 'mounting flange spaces'

A couple of things that I learnt doing the panel:
Cut the holes slightly oversize - it is quite possible to be too accurate / tight with the holes and then the paint causes interference / chipping.
Make notes / keep a CAD drawing of where you are placing things, so if you ever need to re-do your panel you can send it out for CNC cutting rather than doing it all by hand.
I wouldn't spray the panel 'next' time - professionally powder coated would be a better solution.

WRT to getting someone else to cut your panel - it might work if you are REALLY sure of what you want / how everything fits - but ours continued to evolve over time - therefore had to be done in house....

My NZ$.02...

Carl

remove it

Another option is to remove the rib all together (beyond the sub panel)! One of the local guys (at the time) built a Super-7 and had the rib removed. So I decided to do the same. Holding up great so far. Of course I do have the Affordable Panels Modular Panel (two .090 pieces).

img_7009.jpg

img_8126.jpg

img_0938.jpg