N208ET

Well Known Member
I am doing a upgrade to my panel and have been going round and round on what to do. Has anybody used metallic paint on their instrument panel then had somebody airbrush or pin strip the labels on it, following it up with clear. Seems like it would look fantastic. Glare Problems?

Randy
8A

Randy, That is very similar to what I did however I had mine Powerdercoated in a semi flat and then had the pinstrip artist paint all the labels. Mine does not have a clearcoat b.c we did not want the gloss look. I will try to find some more pictures for you but the plane is at the paint shop so i cant go take any right now. Let me know if you would like me to look for some.

Its the first post

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1533&page=75

-david

Wow

That looks really good. Thanks for showing!

I talked to a number of guys yesterday, decal guy, pinstripe guy, and engraver guy. Hopefully it works out, I am going to spray my panel the same color as my primary color of my plane, metallic green. Then I am going to have an engraver cut the labels into the panel. I will follow it up by shooting it with clear coat, this should make it durable and the aluminum color engraved letters should pop against the green metallic. Will post pics when its done.

Randy
8A

Laser engrave

Randy,
A few years ago I did the panel in my aircraft. I made all the symbols in MS Powerpoint. I painted part of the panel and glass bead blasted the aluminum on other parts. I took the panel pieces to a man with a 1.5 ft x 3 ft laser engraver. He was able to etch the paint off to the bare aluminum. On the blasted parts he had a powder he spread out before engraving. The powder left black writing on the bead blasted alum. I then sprayed a satin clear coat to protect everything. I think it cost about 200 dollars total.

Marvin

Laser Engrave on Anodized Aluminum

Laser engraving on anodized aluminum looks great too. When you laser etch anodized aluminum all of the pigment is ablated and you're left with white. You can do really fine details, and even images if you like. We did ours that way and it came out great.