N941WR

Legacy Member
I was thinking of using ?splatter paint? for my panel. Those who are older will remember this as the paint Detroit used to use in the trunks of their cars before carpeted trunks came into vogue. It was usually black or gray with flecks of color.

For those who are flying, would a panel so colored be a distraction? Should I just use black/gray/white/other?

The other question is, does any one have a source for this paint? (I am going to check with NAPA on the way home.)

N941WR said:
The other question is, does any one have a source for this paint? (I am going to check with NAPA on the way home.)
Hey Bill...it's actually called "spatter" paint. If you do a Google search, you'll find plenty of sources.

Here's one of them.

Hope this helps.

Brad

My opinion? I'd think the splatter finish would be distracting. But there have probably been Human Factors PhD theses written on the appropriate panel colors, and I bet that none of them agree with any of the others (though everyone recieved their degree ;) ), so it is probably up to your own practiced eye as to what looks good.

I used a basic machinery gray, because that is what I am used to looking at. My next choice probably would have been black, cause I like the looks of some of the WW II panels that were black...

Paul Dye

Panel Color

I went with a carbon fiber overlay decal. It is a booger to get installed without bubbles, but it sure looks sharp.

Went with real carbon fiber on my panel. There are a couple of pictures on the panels page. It is an overlay. Not flying yet but soon. When people come over to see the project the panel definitely gains the most attention.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

I used black wrinkle finish paint on my panel. The only problem I've had with it is that I've needed to pull and repair or replace a couple of instruments, and the paint gets damaged under the screws.

If I ever did the deed again, I'd investigate black anodizing...

Kyle, I'm worried about that so I'm going to shop for nylon washers.

eaaflyin0131sl.jpg

What about Powder coat? That would seem to be pretty tough, and though not as neat looking as Carbon fiber its fairly attractive.

powder coat

We do alot of custom powder coating with our batch oven. So naturally I powder coated my panel. I used a "iron glimmer" it is real close to the new Cessna panel color and has a slight texture to it. This hides any imperfections in the panel and almost entirely hides future scratches. I even punched another instrument hole since flying and it did not chip or flake at all. The secret with powder coat is to not get it too thick. It will chip very easily if you do.
p10100020mr.jpg

Distraction shouldn't be a problem

A friend is using this type of paint for his interior on a Pulsar but he is using machined sub panels that he is going to powder coat. His interior actually looks quite good with this paint and I don't believe using it as the basic panel finish would cause distraction. I think it would present a challenge for marking switches, C/Bs, etc. I bonded Formica to the aluminum plate and that has worked very well. We have had the same formica topped kitchen table for 38 years so I know the wear and cleanup characteristics are good. The selection is amazingly broad and it provides a smooth surface for marking. It is easy to work with including after completion modifications to add instruments in the airplane. Mine is shown below.

Bob Axsom

dvc000154yw.jpg

Last edited:
Formica

Bob said:
I bonded Formica to the aluminum plate and that has worked very well.
That's a great idea. I was considering anodizing black, but
formica might be easier, cheaper, and longer lasting.