RFazio

Well Known Member
I see in pictures showing panels that the top skin edge was finished using pipping of some sort. That's excatly what I was looking to do. What did you guys use to do that? I was thinking fuel line with a slit cut in it. I'm thinking there may be an easier way. I looked at plastic line for boats that comes with the slit but it's nylon and I don't think I could cover or paint it. Any suggestions?

Check at a upholstery shop, one that does auto work.

They will have a selection of trim pieces for this application.

Mike

Last edited:
RFazio said:
I see in pictures showing panels that the top skin edge was finished using pipping of some sort. That's excatly what I was looking to do. What did you guys use to do that? I was thinking fuel line with a slit cut in it. I'm thinking there may be an easier way. I looked at plastic line for boats that comes with the slit but it's nylon and I don't think I could cover or paint it. Any suggestions?

Soft aluminum tubing (like the brake lines) with a slit cut down one side--you can make a simple jig to do this in a drill press. Even if you cover this with padding, I think the tubing first is a good idea, because the relatiely sharp edge of the glareshield will cut through padding (and your face) if you hit it hard enough.

People often think their restraints will keep them from hitting the panel, but few people have an appreciation for how flexible your body and the restraints can be under the forces involved in even a relatively minor mishap.

Vinyl Glare Shield Edging

Cleveland sells this is. It is a Vinyl covered metal edging material you simply press onto the glare shield edge. Very professional looking and extremely easy. I covered my panel with black leather glued with 3M spray on adhesive and used this edging. This product is installed and flying on hundreds of RV's.

I used 1/4" automotive rubber fuel line from Napa and simply slit it and slipped it over the edge. A bit of lacquer thinner rubs off the white markings on the outside and you have a nice black rounded edge.