Greenley

Well Known Member
Have been working with SteinAir on panel design. Here is current rendition:
GreenleyRV10.jpg

http://rateease.com/GreenleyRV10.pdf
I would appreciated any feedback. PDF link is higher quality with comments. Overall layout, items missing, etc. This will be for an RV10, VFR/IFR, rarely with a pilot in the right seat, and with VPX Pro. The panel is setup for supporting P-Mags, but may be running with mags to start with.

Need to decide type of switches. The two jacks on the far right are for audio/video in (thinking of putting a glove box in the far right panel. Also debating headset jack placement, either on lower center panel or in aerosport center console. What else could I put in this lower panel? Had a crazy thought of putting in a car stereo.

Hi Bill,

Nice meeting you at the RV-10 Oshkosh dinner!

What is IBBS? Is the Fuel switch on all the time during flight or is that the boost pump? If it's the boost pump, I'd have concern over a inadvertent turn-off of the Avionics switch unless you're going to make that a locking switch.

Looks like it will be nice panel!

IBBS is a backup battery system for the avionics. Fuel Switch is boost pump. Good thought. Thanks

Some quick thoughts:
- If you move the GTN-650 a little to the right, and then move the AP panel to under the GTN-650, you can move both EFIS displays up. They look a little low.
- This may also allow you to move the G5 to the left of the left display.
- Move the GTN-650 as high as you can - this will help with the the head down button smashing.
- Move the dimmer pots to less valuable real estate - like under the pMag test switches. I assume you have these switches as you are not using conventional breakers. If you are using breakers you do not need the switches.
- I'm guessing you will be fumbling with headset cords if you keep the jack right out in front like that. I have them on each side of the tunnel just forward of the wing spar using this jack holder: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/forbes5.php?clickkey=3041841
- Don't overlook the value of blank space on the vertical part of your console. This is a great place to keep things like approach checklists and such. I made a checklist holder out of carbon fiber and have it Velcroed onto the top of the tunnel in about the same area you have your console.
- I'm not a fan of rocker switches. No matter what you do, at some-point you will want to move or add a switch. Simple toggle switches provide future flexibility. Breaker toggle switches eliminate the need for a switch and a breaker. I've never had one fail on me.
- I can't tell from the layout what you are doing for power distribution other than the one Avionics Master switch. You might want to think this through before locking into the final design.
- I'm guessing your EFIS system will provide annunciation for a door not shut or if the alternator fails. If so, you can eliminate the lights. I have my SkyView wired such that I get a red indication on the display and an audio alert if any of the four door pins are not fully engaged.

Carl

650 for 750

Looks good but I'd dump the 650 for a 750. Sure it is more money but easier to use. Also, do you really need the small Garmin screen. If you make the big screens independent you won't need the little unit.

Switches are always a fun choice. Honeywell makes some nice ones. I'll see if I can find the part number.

Looks great!!!

I picked the Honeywell toggle switches for two reasons even though I like the look of the engraved rocker switches better: 1) They are less expensive (not cheap), and 2) They are available in many more switch configurations.

The ones I use are the TL series. Sold in locking, not locking, 2 and 3 position. These give you the option of doing something like I did for the Taxi Lights, OFF, TAXI, WIG-WAG. Otherwise you may need 2 switches for the same operations.

Stein probably has more experience in these things so in general I think I would take his advice.

Hi Bill,
I'm installing the same panel with almost identical hardware. Moving the AP controller won't do you any good since you still wont be able to move your two panels up. The top, left edge of the left panel is as high as it can go. I do agree with moving the 650 up. My G5 is located where your dimmers are and yes, those three dimmers are taking up valuable real estate, I'd move them too. Have you thought about the Vans throttle quadrant for your lower panel? I'm really happy with how mine is turning out. As far as Master and AV Master switches, check out the locking toggle switches on Stein's site. Also, I don't see a "Start" button or switch, have you thought where you might put that? Stein is great to work with and thought of a few things I didn't.

If there is any chance of young passengers pushing the ELT switch, that could be moved out of their reach.
The RV-12 has the headset jacks located on the floor outboard of each seat cushion.