I like it.

Hi all,

I'm now thinking to make first cuts in my panel. Basic mission is day VFR flight, electrical scheme is Z11. EFIS will be AF3500 with backup speed indicator and altimeter. Any comments are very welcome. Thanks in advance.

http://picasaweb.google.fr/hesavary

I like it a lot. It's similar to mine in equipment and layout. Pics at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/JJSchneiders/January08Panel

If you want to compare.

I may have missed it but didn't see a flap switch. If this is a 7 and not a 7A consider engine start with the stick in your lap and manipulating controls like the throttle and mag switch at the same time.

Also consider stick interference with the switch sub panel. Depending on your grips it may hit.

I like it a lot. It's similar to mine in equipment and layout. Pics at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/JJSchneiders/January08Panel

If you want to compare.

I may have missed it but didn't see a flap switch. If this is a 7 and not a 7A consider engine start with the stick in your lap and manipulating controls like the throttle and mag switch at the same time.

Also consider stick interference with the switch sub panel. Depending on your grips it may hit.

Hi Joe,
Similarity is quite impressive, I can promisse you I didn't copy ;), we probably have the same software !
The flap switch is located in the grip stick. The plane is (will be) a 7A. I share your concern about interference between grip stick and sub panel, I don't really know yet if I will have to reduce the lengh the stick. I have read very bad comments in the Van's litterature about cuting the switch.

Hi Joe,
Similarity is quite impressive, I can promisse you I didn't copy ;), we probably have the same software !
The flap switch is located in the grip stick. The plane is (will be) a 7A. I share your concern about interference between grip stick and sub panel, I don't really know yet if I will have to reduce the lengh the stick. I have read very bad comments in the Van's litterature about cuting the switch.

I mean cuting the stick, of course !

You will love the AFS 3500, I have 25 hr on my RV using a 3400 and the unit is amazing!

Here's why I mentioned that.

I purchased the Ray Allen 305 & 307 grips for my sticks at Osh last summer. I didn't want to get too complex with something like an Infinity grip. These are different from earlier Ray Allen models in that in order to reduce accidental activation of the buttons, they increased the height of the switch panel portion above the grip and tilted the face back. I didn't realize how much that would affect the total amount of shaft that would have to be cut from the stick until I'd already started wiring them. Even with my throttle quadrant panel instead of a full switch panel they still hit.

I also read the newsletter article about control forces and short sticks, so I wasn't very happy.:mad:

Hervé,

That is nice and near identical to my panel as well.

I did not see a flap switch. May I suggest you put it to the right of the mixture so you can toggle them up and down w/o taking your hand off the throttle? Should a "go around" be necessary, you can hold everything in with the palm of your hand while raising the flaps.

I put the parking break up by the airspeed indicator so when it is on, you will see it as you glance at the AS indicator. You might wish to think about this. It also keeps a passenger from playing with it in flight.

Regarding all your indicator lights. Doesn't the AFS have alarms for a low voltage? If so, I would drop all but the fuel pump light. The rest will be a real distraction while trying to land at night. Besides, you will be able to see if the lights are on by looking at the wings. Same with the interior light indicator. Remember, these are right in your line of sight and could impact your night vision.

The other thing I did was to move the AirGizmo up and put the intercom and ELT switch between it and the radio.

You will like the Affordable Panel you used your layout. FYI, the radio stack is to the right of center, thus your throttle and mixture are over on the right side. Try and put these in the center of the panel. In the pictures I linked to, my throttle quadrant is centered in the panel.

Last edited:
stick cut

Further to Joe's comments, I asked the following to Van's :
"Hi,
I have some concerns about the lengh of the pilot stick. With no connection yet to the empennage, there is an obvious collision / interference between the panel and the stick. I intend to use a wood grip stick (the one sold by spruce) with a limited extra lengh on top of the stick (less than 1"). I will have an EFIS, and I would like of course to avoid to destroy my screen with the stick. I see that many builders are cutting the stick in order to avoid such interference, but I also read an article from Van's on the RVator arguing against such stick cut. My question is the following : Is this interference between stick and panel normal, or it will disapear when stick connected to pushroad / empennage and correctly settled? Thanks in advance for your comments."

I got the following reply :

"Herve,
When the control stick is used full length, without any grip attached, it will
clear the panel. I guess that most builders cut an inch or two off of the stick
for grip clearance. In reality, you would rarely use full down elevator anyway.
It is up to you if you want to cut it off.
Bruce Reynolds"

I think I will cut mine one inch, which is corresponding to the extral engh of my grip, on top of the stick, but I will install the empennage et set everything correctly before to do any cut.

Herv?,

When you have your stick installed and nothing attached, it will hit the panel but once connected it will not, as you found out in your research.

I cut my stick but only enough so the total length did not change with the wood grip installed. As with a number of things on this kit, the amount to trim is based upon the parts installed.

Bill,
Thanks a lot for your good comments. Regarding you inputs on panel design, find enclosed some answer / comments :
1- Flap switch is located on the grip stick (I use the flap positioning system)
2 - Parking brake position, in fact I have not fully decided yet where to locate it, I take note of your advice, and I will try to have aeronautic educated passengers only :rolleyes:
3 - Light indicators : Legal situation is not the same in France as in US : Night flight is not allowed with Experimental, so light on the aircraft is more to be seen in semi dark (but VMC) condition, than for night flight. In these conditions, I like the idea of having a cabin lamp to remind the light is on. You are absolutely right on your comment regarding the low voltage, I didn't update the comment but the left light is main alarm from the AFS (including low voltage).
4 - Position of the GPS : I will probably install the canopy jettison handle above the current GPS position.
5 -I share your comment regarding the position of throttle, a bit too far on the right side, this is the "Cons side" of these electrical switches, they take a lot a space.

Herv?,

It sounds like you are thinking through all the issues, which is good.
4 - Position of the GPS : I will probably install the canopy jettison handle above the current GPS position.
For the jettison handle to work in flight, you need to cut away two slots in the top skin and then lightly fiberglass over them. This allows the pivot "goose necks" to break out in flight. Don't worry about the struts as they will pull right out. If you are not going to go this route, you can always mount the handle under the panel, which will give you back some space.

5 -I share your comment regarding the position of throttle, a bit too far on the right side, this is the "Cons side" of these electrical switches, they take a lot a space.

You can put those switches closer together than you think. Heck, you can have them touching, if you need.

FYI - when I laid mine out on the back of the sub-panel, they were all equally spaced, and all the holes were drilled that I thought I would need at that time. What I did do was drill 1/2 through the panel in line with the holes but in places where I didn't think I needed a switch or breaker. Later on when I realized I needed to add an additional breaker, it was easy enough to finish drilling it. Just a tip to make life easier.

I'm now thinking to make first cuts in my panel.
You did copied from me, didn't you? ;) My plans (never shown anyone my plans so for sure you haven't copied this from me) are pretty similar but I would replace Garmin with AVMap.

But this thread gave few good tips like stick&switch interference problems -- has to stay tuned!

Bill,
Thanks for the advices.

Pirkka,
In fact my original plan was to use the AVMAP, I really liked the idea of a reasonably cheap "VFR-full-Glass-cockpit", but I wanted to have the map box on right side, and it was almost impossible, or at least very difficult to center the EFIS plus the GPS on the Affordable panel (which is nice but is also creating installation constraints). I wanted to keep the affordable for the modularity and possibility of evolution in the future.This configuration is probably easier to do with the standard Van's panel.

Herve,

Looks very neat, here's a couple of comments.

Do you really need the full width sub-panel? If you were to offset the warning lights to the right and raise the AD-3500, the switches would fit on the the main part of the panel.
Where's the flap switch (sorry have just read comments above - problem with having flap switch on stick is inadvertent operation - you only use the flaps a couple of times per flight, seems unnecessary to put switch on the stick (BTW I prefer the CH products stick top).
I would put the switches that I use most when approaching to land closest to the throttle, they are fuel pump, landing & taxi light, flaps. That way you don't have to move your hand very far to switch on the stuff you need. The other switches will not the used that often and can be further away.
Compass next to autopilot and GPS may cause some EMI problems - you may have to relocate it to the left of the ASI.
I would put the AD3500 as high as possible in the panel so that you don't have to look down very far for the airspeed or AoA on final approach.
Putting the vents higher up on the panel gives better flow over your face (put can set off the vox on sensitive intercoms).

Hope this helps, Pete.

Last edited: