Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
I'm about to make some minor upgrades which will require cutting new holes in my existing panel, which is painted with wrinkle finish paint. What can I do to minimize paint damage around the new holes?

I'm about to make some minor upgrades which will require cutting new holes in my existing panel, which is painted with wrinkle finish paint. What can I do to minimize paint damage around the new holes?

It's expensive, but a greenlee punch may fit the bill.

The other option would be to use tape to protect the panel and cut through the tape.

Ask a local water jet cutting outfit if you are totally removing the panel from the plane...

Ask a local water jet cutting outfit if you are totally removing the panel from the plane...

It'll be done in the plane, so the water jet isn't practical, and the spacing doesn't allow for the greenlee punches mentioned in Bob's post.

My current plan is to scribe the paint with a razor knife prior to cutting. I may or may not apply some painters tape prior to drilling. The new holes will be sized for switches, so I wonder if a regular bit or a unibit gives me the best chance for success.

Last edited:
Kyle, I would go with the Unibit and drill from the side with the paint, since the Unibit will chamfer the hole slightly as it goes from step to step.

Panel hole

We just finished cutting a 8 sided hole in a powdercoated panel. Lots of filing & slow going but with good results. Just had to remember to use inward strokes on the file.