prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm filling out a worksheed provided by Stein for lengths for my various interconnections. There are a couple of items on their worksheed that I don't understand - hoping someone here can explain these connections:

- For the Transponder, what is "TIS to EFIS" ?
- For the intercom, what is "MKR Beacon Coax Lead" ?

For making these length measurements, I'm using a tapemeasure, estimating where the back ends of the units will be, and using a visual common-sense approach to choosing wire routes. I'm adding a little slack, but not much as I don't want to have lots of loose wires, or hte extra wire weight. Any other general tips of making these measurements?

For making these length measurements, I'm using a tapemeasure, estimating where the back ends of the units will be, and using a visual common-sense approach to choosing wire routes. I'm adding a little slack, but not much as I don't want to have lots of loose wires, or hte extra wire weight. Any other general tips of making these measurements?

If you have Kitplanes subscription there is an excellent article by Stein in late issue how to do those measurements. The point is - use a wire or string to simulate the run, not just to measure ballpark. It takes a bit of time but your wiring runs will be exact.

Worksheet

TIS to EFIS distance is measured between a Traffic Information System (TIS) (if mounted) and the EFIS.

Many audio panels include a marker beacon receiver: MKR Beacon Coax Lead is the length of the coax cable connecting the audio panel (with marker beacon receiver) to the marker beacon antenna (in RVs the antenna may be mounted in a wingtip or on the belly of the aircraft).

Mike

Phil

TIS stands for "Traffic Information Service" and it is only compatible with a mode S transponder. The use of this technology is not available in Canada. I don't know for sure, but I would assume that the coax lead to the intercom that you reference is for the integration of the audio portion of the marker beacon system. Marker beacons are no longer used in Canada, so you may have another decision to make. If I was having my harnesses made, I would rather bundle a reasonable excess ammount of wire than have to splice something that is too short. I'm sure Stein would be able to give a better answer on the measurement specifics, as he is dealing with this all the time.

Regards,

John Crate
rv6a(at)rogers.com