todehnal

Well Known Member
My guess is, by now, everyone has seen the Trutrak-Garmin panel that Steinair put together and is displayed on page 18 of the April issue of Sport Aviation. Now, that's a panel!! I'm sure that this is an RV-7, or 9 panel, but I sure would like to go with something like that in my 12.

There is no doubt that Van's choice of Dynon is the best bang for the buck. But, given the choice, my airplane would consist of Trutrak and Garnin's latest glass that was designed for us E-AB folks.

I wonder what the feasibility, cost difference, and additional labor intensity would really be. I sure like that panel, but I don't want to add significantly to the build of my 12.

Thought??

Tom

Can someone post a picture of the panel for those overseas lurkers like me.
A copy of the article would be interesting but probably unfair to Stein. A brief summary of the jist of the article would be of interest.
Thanks in advance

John

It wasn't an article, it was a 1/4 page advertisement, and it wasn't by Stein, it was a TT ad.

That is correct....almost, but the ad was 1/2 page, and it was our panel with an ad that featured Garmin, TruTrak and "Panel by SteinAir"...so you got part of it partly right. As a Dynon employee I'm sure you know how "co-op" (co-operative) advertising works...sometimes advertisements will highlight various equipment and vendors at once.

The "articles" I write are in Kitplanes magazine...the most recent ones were extensive reviews on EFISes and then on Autopilots.

Cheers,
Stein

As the expert on panels, and a supposedly neutral vendor of all EFIS systems, maybe you could answer the original poster's question about how much more it would cost than the Dynon system in the RV-12, and what the legal issues are with doing so.

I apologize for misinterpreting an ad that had the address, name, FAX and phone number of only one company on it as primarily an ad for that company.

Last edited:
Wait, Jordan is a Dynon employee?

It seems like it would be best if he included that fact in his signature or at the bottom of his posts for full disclosure, especially when commenting on products that relate to him or his employer.

Just my opinion...

I have mentioned it many times before and did not feel it was needed when I was posting a response to someone that asked about an article that was actually an ad. Not exactly a comment on a competitor's product.

I'll go back into my hole.

Sorry Jordan, I'm not trying to drive you away. I just didn't know (maybe others too?).

I really love hearing from manufacturers and their employees on this forum. It gives us a great opportunity to make suggestions and provide feedback. I just like knowing when I'm hearing from a company or their employees.

I have mentioned it many times before and did not feel it was needed when I was posting a response to someone that asked about an article that was actually an ad. Not exactly a comment on a competitor's product.

I'll go back into my hole.

Sorry Jordan, I'm not trying to drive you away. I just didn't know (maybe others too?).

I really love hearing from manufacturers and their employees on this forum. It gives us a great opportunity to make suggestions and provide feedback. I just like knowing when I'm hearing from a company or their employees.

Sounds like a reasonable request. As a moderator I would appreciate any vendor connections of posters being stated in the signature (nearly all do so). Jordon, your credibility and value to readers would be enhanced if your affiliation was stated.

Come back out of the hole........ :)

As the expert on panels, and a supposedly neutral vendor of all EFIS systems, maybe you could answer the original poster's question about how much more it would cost than the Dynon system in the RV-12, and what the legal issues are with doing so.

I apologize for misinterpreting an ad that had the address, name, FAX and phone number of only one company on it as primarily an ad for that company.

This is an area I'm really not qualified to comment on from my position, because I have no reference facts to work from. Since there have been zero customer RV-12's certified (no S-LSA, no E-LSA and no EAB-LSA) the legalities couldn't be commented on with 100% accuracy because until that happens we just don't know the specifics. For those in other countries the rules are different yet. Without the base S-LSA certified 100%, we don't know what that ultimate configuration will end up being for the E-LSA's. For EAB-LSA's the story is entirely different, but again since everything in the RV12 is probably going to be tightly integrated from a wiring standpoint we just don't know what a change from Van's recommendations or supplied kit would entail. I know I've not yet seen what the final 100% end product is going to look like just yet. Once we know those details, then we can start figuring out what if any changes would be/could even be performed. It could end up being easy peasy or entirely impossible or somewhere in between....I just don't know yet.

Regarding pricing, the issue is the same. I've not seen Van's advertised price for the avionics/panel kit in the RV12 program so again it's impossible for me or anyone to accurately compare $$'s or opine on exact costs without having any benchmarks or a price delta to work from. My guess wouldn't be much better than anyone elses at this point, so I as usual I hate to guess.

I'm sure at some point I will know some of those answers, because we do an awful lot of work on current production LSA's. In fact, another flight designs CT with Dual Dynon's being installed this week!

If I had the answers Lord knows I'm not bashful about sharing them! :)

Cheers,
Stein

PS, For Sam or others that didn't know, VAF has been down this road before with Ian and identities, see THIS THREAD.

All politics aside, I love the look and that panel will be in My RV-9A and I am completely biased as I am a proud supplier of parts to TruTrak. :D