prporter

Well Known Member
OK, there are some things I would rather farm out then do on my own. Can anyone recommend a good panel builder / designer?

There are a few

www.steinair.com - Ask for Stein
www.lancairavionics.com - Ask for Steve (even tho they only have Lancairs on their website, they will do RV's no problem. I think someone else on here did a "build your own panel" with them.
www.avionkits.com - Oh, shoot, can't remember who to ask for

You can get your metal cut so you don't have to do that part at www.affordablepanels.com

Some of them will also do a "Bag-o-panel" that will include the metal cutting, finishing, painting, radio rack assembly, powercoat and silkscreen and will sell you a "bag o parts" and let you stuff holes and do the wiring.

Lancair Avionics did that for me and so far, I've been extremely happy. I should have my panel tomorrow so we'll see it first hand, the pictures below are from their build shop.

Here's basically what they did.

Radio Rack:
Alan%20Adamson%20Radio%20Stack%20(1).JPG

Basic Wiring: - they had to do this because I bought Garmin radios from them too
Alan%20Adamson%20Radio%20Stack.JPG

Finished Blank:
P1010042.jpg

From the Back:
P1010041.jpg

I'm with you Prporter. I have visited all the sites you linked to Alan--thanks for those. I don't want to bug the contacts until I'm closer to needing their services, but one of the holes in my financial plan is how much it costs to have someone put together a panel. I know the typical answer is 'it depends' on what I want in the panel. Is there a ballpark figure I can use/add to the vans cost estimator or a rule of thumb like price of avionics plus X%?

Mike

mandm1516 said:
I'm with you Prporter. I have visited all the sites you linked to Alan--thanks for those. I don't want to bug the contacts until I'm closer to needing their services, but one of the holes in my financial plan is how much it costs to have someone put together a panel. I know the typical answer is 'it depends' on what I want in the panel. Is there a ballpark figure I can use/add to the vans cost estimator or a rule of thumb like price of avionics plus X%?

Mike

Most will tell you that to get a final cost for any specific kit, take the cost of the kit, add it again for the engine and a 3rd time for the panel. 3x the kit cost for a completed airplane. Just a rule of thumb, but pretty close.

A couple of other pointers.

Avoincs are changing so quickly, that if you aren't within 4-6 mo's of flying, then ignore the panel until you are and don't spend any money until you get closer.

Shop the major shows for excellent specials. I shaved about 10K off the cost of avionics in that panel as a result.

Get an actual flight demo behind anything you decide upon *before* you buy it. Look at all the problems BMA is having with the 4th Generation products as an example.

When you get close, most of those places above will do *free* paper layout for you, up to a point... For example, and I don't know if Lancair still does this. I got 3 revisions to a paper drawing before they wanted a basic commitment with money paid down. This means use all the free services on the net before you start bugging a design house. But if you get something close on the free services (epanelbuilder.com for example), send it to the others and get an actual drawing. Its amazing how many little things like spacing on breakers and switches that you can't do on the free services that will rear their ugly head when it's actually layed out in CAD and will cause you to re-think your placements.

"Think ahead" in your panel design. For example. You can see where I put in and SL-30 *and* and SL-40, but I only bought the SL-30. The 40 is just wired in and I'll add it later as funds support. Also, you can't tell this from the above, but you can see from the two drawings below. I forward thought the steam gauges a little. I included spacing on that whole left side panel to allow for an upgrad from an electric AI to a 3" EFIS.

Also, think outside the box. If you are going to go with an all electric panel. you don't need to buy that 3K Mid Continent Attitude indicator, just get the TSO'd TC replacement from Sportys for 1.9K (used to be 1.5K :( ). It's an awesome AI that has a level on it and can double as a TC. Also, stuggle to work with 3 1/8 flight instruments instead of 2 1/4. Those little 2 1/4's are *really* expensive especially if you want electric version. I had Lancair move my Chelton panels up on the left metal panel to allow for 3 1/8 steam gauges. At first they said it couldn't be done, but I insisted. As it turns out only could it be done, but as a result of my design in this panel, they are now building the same panel for one of their new demonstrators. :)

Final Panel:
Final%20(Medium).jpg

Steam Gauge Upgrade
Chelton-bma%20(Medium).jpg

Hope this helps?
Alan

Last edited:
Thanks

Alan,

Thanks--it does help. Your panel looks great. I hadn't visited the lancair avionics site before you posted the link but did see an RV-7 (currently in the classifieds) that had a panel designed by them--they do really nice work.

Mike

I heard 15% over the cost of the components for the build.

I could be wrong, but it seems like someone at OSH quoted me that number...

Thomas

my.php
[/URL][/IMG] I can highly recommend Aerotronics in Billings, MT. If you're looking for a plug and play panel, I don't think you can do much better. Gary and Jason were easy to work with and very helpful during the installation process. If you want a blow by blow description of the whole process, call me at 901-218-3736.

Steve
N174AS
RV7, 230 hrs

Stein gets my vote. Wyhile I built my own he has been immensly helpful. Up front about delivery dates. 1st quality products. Simole pricing scheme.