UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - just a quick question about panel labels and fuel cap markings before I get these ordered.

1. Below are some drawings I put together to mark my panel... These all seem to make logical sense to me, but I'm all ears if anyone has any suggestions.

2. On the fuel caps, I'm not sure of the best way to mark them for the required fuel. According to my engine manual (io-375 from Aerosport power), I need a minumin of 91 octane unleaded but can also run on 100LL.... Is there a better way to mark the caps than I have laid out below?

Thanks,
Jason

29ohgf4.jpg

2dlp28l.jpg

15cd0e1.jpg

2hfkt9d.jpg

Just make sure your nuts - err... the switch nuts - don't cover up the bottom of the text or make it look too crowded.

I am going to have them engraved... by the same folks making the panel labels... aircraft engravers.

Thanks,
Jason

The only information required at the fuel filler is the minimum fuel grade and tank capacity.

Fuel Caps:
RV N number engraved on fuel caps are a good idea to prevent theft, although not required.

Seat Heat:
Nice, but don't tell my wife - she will say that is my next mod.

Req'd fuel filling marking

The only information required at the fuel filler is the minimum fuel grade and tank capacity.

Mel, I've seen the required Fuel Filler placarding you mentioned stated many times by other people but according to FAR 23.1557 (c), the requirement
for Recip powered aircraft is:
1)the word "Avgas" and
2) The minimum fuel grade

I know you've been doing this a lot longer than me, why the difference between your reply and those in part 23?

Jason, I think everything looks A1 - so for me, it's a go.

One tiny recomendation, or at least something that I apreciate a lot in my 6A, having the radio lower, near the thottle control. That prevent you from having to reach up every time you want to change channel or adjust the volume. I usualy just reach with my fingers to do that, not even taking my hand of the trottle... I like that.

But hey, it might be just me... :D

Actually I have a LH throttle and fly IFR and acro.

For IFR I fly LH on the stick and tune the radios with my right hand.

Then to adjust throttle I swap hands.

It sounded like a nightmare when I was planning it out, but now its second nature.

I guess you can put that in the "its amazing what you get used to" box..:)

One minor thing to watch for (or not so minor, if it ends up being an issue)...

I put in a throttle quadrant, and then layed out my panel with a Keep-Out Zone for my fingers/knuckles at full forward on all the levers, which then meant my radio stack had to move up, much as yours is. It wasn't until I had everything all water-jet cut, the radio trays in, the angles riveted on and the whole deal powdercoated and I finally installed everything for the final time that I saw it...the forward part of the tip-up canopy, right at the forward end, was *just barely* interfering with the audio panel (GMA340) at the top of the stack. Fortunately, drilling out the rivets and replacing with countersunk rivets gave me enough clearance, but it was *damned* close and I had a few minutes of "aw, s**t, I'm going to have to build/cut another panel. Worked out okay, but...

Be aware of the envelope of travel, open and closed, of the tip-up canopy parts...if that top radio extends further forward, you might have an interference issue...