Darren Kerns

Well Known Member
My RV7 is almost finished and it will not be painted until this late summer. I have been looking at Flying Colors of Texas and Euroairaviation up in Wisconsin. I hope I spelled the latter correctly! Anyway, does anybody have some good suggestions. My wife and I know we want it to be burgundy wine with white white. She is wanting a little metal flake on the tips and tail.

All thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT
Taswell, IN
Hangared at FRH

Hey Darren,

You mean you're not going to have the guy up in Greenfield paint your airplane again? That was one of the most stunning schemes I ever saw.

I used Bobbie Potts in Tuscaloosa, AL for my Rocket. He advertises on the front page. Grady's might do a great job but the waiting list is long and they didn't seem too interested in my Rocket at the time. Bobbie does a great base coat/clear coat and buffs the entire airframe.

Thanks Randy. Jamie is one of the best in the country. However, the plane took over 7 months to get back and I also had John Marshall helping me.
I have heard a lot good comments about the Potts guy.

My wife wants to tone this one down some. Also, Randy, your F1 is stunning!! I have never ridden in one and I would love to some day.

Thanks,
Darren

Central Aviation

Randy Effinger (Watertown, Wisconsin) did a great job on mine. In fact he painted three Oshkosh Lindy award winners that year (2006) including the Grand Champion Glasair. Reasonably priced, reasonably fast (6 weeks), and you can count on the final bill being identical to the estimate.

His website is pretty basic but has contact info:

http://www.centralaviationwisconsin.com/

Last edited:
Woodlake

I have no experience with this company, but there is an aircraft paint shop in Sandwich, IL called Woodlake Aircraft Refinishers; I thought I had read some favorable comments on them.
ttp://www.planepainter.com/

I can verify the work of Woodlake Refinishing...several airplane's in this area have been painted up there, and one our very own VAF members (JACKR) had his 7 painted there, and it looks fantastic! The guy that painted his airplane isn't there anymore, but they all do great work...

6-11-07-001w.jpg

A little out of your way, but Abbott Aviation / Top Gun Aircraft Refinishing, Aurora, Nebraska is doing a GREAT job on my -12, and they have painted and repaired other RV's including a VAF member's -10. Look in their photo gallery.

http://www.topgunrefinishing.com/

They can do airbrushing, vinyl applications, and they can do all the fiberglass finishing work too!

Last edited: