JMay

I'm New Here
Okay you painting experts, I need some help! Yes, we (my RV partner & I) decided to use some checker board on the Vert Stab and we are painting the RV-6 ourselves. We like the look of a fade away from the solid color into the checkerboard. Looks like we would just spray the solid color around the perimeter of the checkerboard and the spray pattern would create the fade away effect. Is it really that easy? Maybe mix some clear in to build transparency? Whose painted a fade away and what technique did you use?
Thanks for your help!

I have not tried what you want to do on an airplane, but I spray two and three color sunbursts on musical instruments. I use an Iwata RG-3. In order to get the fading look, I turn the pressure up to about 60psi and the flow down very low in order to keep the droplet size as small as possible. Very little stain comes out and I go around whatever pattern I am using many times before there is enough stain to color the instrument, more lightly on one side than the other to get the fade. I stop when it looks right to me. Good luck!

Last edited: