billdianne

Patron
Anybody have any tips for painting large areas with rattle cans to prevent flat spots from the edge of the spray pattern?

I've tried putting really wet coats but always seem to end up with some long flat streaks from the overspray.

tough job

Its not easy to paint large areas. my method is cut in all edges, curves and angels first. then work on sections for the large flat areas using several thin coats instead of heavey wet coats. I like parts laying flat or at a slight angle to help pervent runs. overlap strokes and criss cross patterns. I try to avoid it if possible and use a gun. happy painting..

I foudn that I did a WHOLE lot better when I used one of those plastic handles that attaches to the rattle can - it makes it much more like using a gun, and easier to handle. Your results might vary, but they cost like $3 - worht a try if you haven't already.

Paul

Spraying is also greatly improved if you by higher grade paint.
The cheaper cans spray in a round pattern, which when moving the can equates to heavy in the middle and light on the edges of each pass. This is fine for small areas or multiple sides of small parts but tough for big areas.
The better quality cans have a nozzle that produces a fanned spray pattern similar to a regular spray gun. Works much better on large areas.

The better valve looks like it has a little tab on the top which you depress to open the valve, instead of pushing the whole valve down on the can.