RFazio

Well Known Member
I'm going to paint the canopy on a slider and I'm worried that the fumes will get to my canopy and craze the plexi. Even if I tape it off real good there will be exposed parts under the seams of the aluminum or under the fiberglass skirt. Anyone have any ideas or lessons learned here? Thanks

Richard, nearly everybody paints right out onto the plexiglass, or at least right up to a filler edge. The plexiglass is masked of course, but masking is hardly airtight. If paint fumes are a problem, I think we would know about it by now.

Yup No probems

If you are using masking paper from say Home Depot and dark paint colours then double up on the paper..

My plane is dark blue over white and the pigment from the blue settled through a single sheet of masking paper..Luckliy I found ut on some small parts before painting the whole airplane

Frank

What about Laq Thinner etc?

Is there a risk with the prep before painting? I would be using Laq. thinner and an Akzo Nobel final degreaser, should I keep that stuff away from the plexi?

Jim

Masking Plexiglas

The paint shops use heavy duty aluminum foil , you can top it with regular masking paper and aluminum duct tape to mask off windshields and windows. Tape the foil with regular masking tape followed by the aluminum tape. The masking tape comes off the plastic much easier than the aluminum tape. This provides bullet proof protection for the plastic.

I mask the plexi with a double layer of paper. Foil is overkill.

Some thinners will not harm your plexi. MEK is very bad for plexi, causes it to melt, but a reducer such as PPG DT870 can be used to clean off overspray.

This changes the subject slightly, but pertains to cleaning up a small mess I made on the windshield pre painting.

Although I masked the windshield with high quality tape before laying up the fiberglass and final filler, in several places a little of the filler seeped under the tape (UV Smooth Prime). How can I remove it without scratching the windshield?

(it is sticking really tight... I guess that's a good thing when it's in the right places!)

Larry

Sand

it down very carefully to a feathered edge then take your paint line say 1/8yh inch above the innevitable sanding marks...It will be invisible.

Frank

Don't go cheap

When it comes to taping and masking your canopy, don't go cheap. ONLY use 3M fine line tape from an auto supply paint store. The adhesive on the Fine Line is formulated to deal with the chemicals in the paint. This also goes for the paper used for covering. Use the good stuff from the auto paint store.

The stuff you don't want to use, electrical tape, painters tape from the home stores, regular masking tape, news paper, home store masking paper etc.

Electrical tape is fine for filling and prep work, but don't use it for painting purposes.

Sure you are going to spend $50-60 on tape and supplies but you won't be replacing your canopy.

I agree to a point

Certainly use the proper fine line tape to make the paint edges..Yes it is expensive but nothing will ruin a job more than a poor edge.

As to paper though I just went to Home depot but doubled the thickness for dark colours over white and it worked just fine.

Frank